Member Reviews

Destination: Southern Caribbean
Member Review: 562medic's Carnival Fantasy Review
Grand Turk
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
The only problem I had on Grand Turk was mosquitoes, which were relentless. However, I did have mosquito repellent on my power chair, something I carry all the time. So I was able to spray myself and my partner with it. However, the water on the beach was sparkling clean and spectacular for photographing.

We ate at Margaritaville on Grand Turk Island. On this narrative I would love to command the dining room manager, Jacqueline Robinson. Her skills and customer service, and her "customer comes first" attitude stands out very clearly. She is very friendly towards them, and was certainly such towards me, something I cannot overlook and something that if I ever go back to grand Turk, I will expect when I go again to Margaritaville.

Margaritaville, to my surprise, it's not just a restaurant and bar. I live in Charleston, where it is simply a small store. The one in Grand Turk is more than a restaurant: it's a grand facility. There is a large swimming pool surrounded by patio and pool furniture where anyone can use the pool and chairs at no charge. There is a gift shop, a dedicated radio station, and rental cabanas that have air conditioning, a shower, and superior service: anyone renting a cabana can simply call for service and have their food brought to them. Cabana rentals are hundred dollars a day.

I interviewed Jackie and she was quite interesting. I can hardly wait to see her again!

More Grand Turk Reviews Grand Turk Port Profile Grand Turk Forum
Nassau
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
But I did get off at Nassau Bahamas where I think I had better time than at grand Turk, because I was able to get around with my chair through downtown and see the shops, restaurants, and the grocery stores. I went into one grocery store and noticed the dynamics as being different from here in the states. The cashiers are all seated in chairs at the cash register. They accept US dollars as well as Bahamian dollars, penny for penny. There is no sales tax but the merchandise is much more expensive than in the states.

Also I observed two kids who purportedly giving away free Bahamas beads necklaces to tourists but here was a catch: they would ask you for donations and if you didn't give it to them that would take the necklace back from her neck if you let them: I had to twist one of the kids fingers and reprimand him about taking things from another person once he gives it to them. I ended up with two free necklaces. My partner was not so successful: he wasn't as assertive as I was. This type of illegal practice by the kids is known as Hawking. Bahamian police were summoned and dealt with each of the two kids.

I ate at a restaurant called Senior Frogs. A simple appetizer lunch, two coconut waters, and two iced teas, yielded up a grand total of $64 including a 15% gratuity, which was automatically added to the bill as was the case in Grand Turk. However, in both locations I have to agree that the servers deserved such tips.

One other peculiarity I noticed was that women were located within the men's room, something that most Americans and Europeans would dissent. The two women interviewed stated that most Bahamian men don't mind. They complained to me that they were not receiving gratuities. It should be noted that they are custodians, not restroom attendants.

That being said, I cannot overlook the pleasant attitude I have encountered from all of the Bahamians I have come in contact with -- even police officers who I interviewed about the dynamics of the Police Department in the Bahamas. It appears that Nassau is controlled by the federal police force as opposed to local police. I also noticed that officers of different rankings wore different uniforms accordingly. For example, the commanding officer wore camouflage uniform. I met a detective from this police force named Charleston, the same name of the city I live in here in South Carolina.

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum