Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > CarnivalChick1116's Port Reviews of Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan, Grand Cayman

CarnivalChick1116's Port Reviews of Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan, Grand Cayman
Carnival Glory cruise in December 2012
Member Name: CarnivalChick1116
Cruise Date: December 2012
Member Review: CarnivalChick1116's Carnival Glory Review
Cozumel
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
My husband and I rented a scooter from Alex right as soon as you exit Puerta Maya and enter the city. He was in a small white alley and was extremely friendly. For $30 US we were able to rent the scooter for the day, and it included liability insurance. SOLD! We saw the majority of the island and were able to go through downtown. In the downtown area we found a small, family owned restaurant where we were able to sample the local cuisine. My husband and I had two tacos each (two pork and two chicken) and then a glass bottle of Coca Cola and only paid $4.50 US! The tacos were incredible, fresh, and the lady made each corn tortilla by hand. Afterward, back on the scooter, we were able to see the majority of the island and were able to take AMAZING photographs.

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum
Belize City
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
In Belize we were thankful that we had booked an excursion previously. This is NOT a port that you would want to walk freely through the streets. It is an extremely poor area and crime ridden.

With that said, we booked a tour that came highly regarded from a friend through http://www.cave-tubing.com. My husband, friends, and I booked the zip-lining and cave tubing excursion for $75/per person US. We were SO happy with our tour guide and the company as a whole! They picked us up at the port and our guide was holding a sign with our name on it. We (along with two other families) boarded a van and we were taken on a 45 minute ride to get to the site for the zip-ling and cave tubing.

We zip-lined first and what an experience! There are 7 separate platforms. The first one is a simple "chicken run" as they called it. From there they get higher, longer, and faster! It was so much fun and we were able to take photos and videos while we zip-lined.

Next we went to the cave for the tubing portion. What a beauty of nature. You go on a tube with headlamps and you can see the stalagtites, stalagmites, and different rock formations within the cave. There is a waterfall inside as well, and you can also see the glittering quartz veins on the cave walls. Truly a mesmerizing experience! We then just sat in our tubes down the river for another 25 minutes and throughout the experience our guide was telling us about each rock, tree, leaf, and the local culture.

Once the tour was complete, we were brought back to their tropical "hut" and were fed chicken tamales. YUM! Some of the best I have had. After eating we were able to change out of our wet clothes and then took the 45 minute ride back to the ship port. (PS: We were able to lock our things in the van while we did the excursion. The zip-lining and cave tubing is in a national park there and there are ARMED guards so it is very secure).

More Belize City Reviews Belize City Port Profile Belize City Forum
Roatan
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
The ship docks at Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan, Honduras. The scenery is breathtaking with all the greenery and trees, the clear waters and the large rocks.

We got off the ship and sat on the beach all day, which is a very short walk from the dock. We were one of the first to get off the boat so we were able to get four shaded chairs on the sand. The way the sun moved they were shaded all day and I was able to take a two hour nap with no sunburn! :)

The only thing I would want to warn about is on Mahogany Beach, apparently there may be a jellyfish or two. My friend was stung after she got in the water on her arm, after being in for around 5 minutes. She went to the local restaurant and they knew exactly what to do and gave her a paper towel soaked in vinegar to "draw out the venom". She held that on there for a little over an hour and the swelling was down and she was only left with some arm pain. She took an Advil and was fine the rest of the day.

More Roatan Reviews Roatan Port Profile Roatan Forum
Grand Cayman
Snorkeling Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Once we were off the boat, we went right into the shopping area at the port and there were MANY different companies offering tours with snorkeling and stingray city. We chose the one that approached us first and they were certified and backed by the Port Authority of Grand Cayman. They wanted to charge $40/per person US but we decided we could find cheaper and began to walk away. That is when she stopped us and said she can do $30/per person. So we went with them and saved $40 overall :). We are so glad we did. After a 10 minute bus ride to the marina, we were handed over to our boat captain and his three shipmates. After a 20-30 minute ride we were brought to a coral reef area to snorkel. We stayed for 30 minutes and there was an abundance of fish and seafans and marine life. Bring an underwater camera - the fish are gorgeous and like nothing I have ever seen before.

Stingray Swim Rating: 5+ out of 5+
After snorkeling, we were taken three minutes away to Stingray City. This was one of the coolest things I have ever been able to do! I was hesitant at first but once I saw everyone else get in the water I decided to also. The stingrays are very calm and they were everywhere. I was able to hold one and they are also surprisingly heavy! We got very neat photos and videos of them. We stayed for 30 minutes then were taken back on the boat, to the marina, and then a busride back to the port.

More Grand Cayman Reviews Grand Cayman Port Profile Grand Cayman Forum