Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > justcruz'n's Port Reviews of Florence (Livorno), Genoa, Marseille, Barcelona, Tenerife

Celebrity Silhouette cruise in November 2012
Member Name: justcruz'n
Cruise Date: November 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Transatlantic
Member Review: justcruz'n's Celebrity Silhouette Review
Florence (Livorno)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We docked in Livorno which was the 1st port of call on this voyage. My wife and I been to Florence before so we did not go to Florence. Instead we went to Pisa. We didn't take the cruiseline excursion because there wasn't one that was strictly Pisa excursion. It was a combination of Florence and Pisa.

We did take Celebrity's transportation at $15/person roundtrip to the Livorno train station. There was another less expensive option of $5/person roundtrip to Livorno Centrale where you would need to take the bus to the train station.

Had I known it was that easy to get to the train station from Centrale then I would of went with the lesser option.

From Livorno train station, my wife and I took the regional train to Pisa which was only 20 minutes and cost only 10 Euros for the 2 of us. We then took the Lama Rossa bus in front of the NH Cavalier hotel. Bus was 2.50 Euros each way per person. Best to get return bus tickets at the news stand at the Pisa Centrale station.

Seeing the Leaning Tower of Pisa was good if you never seen it before. Spent about a few hours and went pack to Pisa Centrale train station. My gosh. Warnign to those who are going to travel to Pisa on your own. We almost got on the wrong train to get back to Livorno because the board had said 'Livorno platform 5" When we went to Platform 5 it said to Firenze (Florence). Went back to the board and later it said Livorno platform 8. Went there and it said Zucca. Luckily we saw someone working there and asked how to get back to Livorno. I forgot the end of the line of this one train but luckily we asked. It started with a "P". Sorry this is no help.

If you try to do trips on your own, you will need to have patience and expect these kind of situations to occur but that's what making travelling great. It's all about the experience.

We did get back to Livorno Centrale train station early so we decided to take bus No. 1 to Livorno Centrale. Some shops were not open until about 4pm on Sundays FYI. Not a big shopping area. Spent about 2 hrs there and caught the bus back to Livorno train station to meet up with our Celebrity bus to head back to the ship.

More Florence (Livorno) Reviews Florence (Livorno) Port Profile Florence (Livorno) Forum
Genoa
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
I gave the port of Genoa a 5 because of how beautiful the port was. This is a personal opinion. We didn't know what to expect. It was nice to walk around the town and up the hill and went to the shopping distract. Saw the Piazza Ferrari.

Found an Information office not purposely but he's advised us to go to the top of the hill and see the panaramic view of Genoa. It was only 2 euros or something like that. Museums seems to be closed on Mondays but we were not told by the cruiseline. Not sure if they knew or not. Probably not. I would had like to see the Aquarium that Genoa is known for but was tired by the time we returned from our day out walking around town.

It was nice to see the city of Genoa from the ship.It looked like very picturesque.

More Genoa Reviews Genoa Port Profile Genoa Forum
Marseille
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
The actually port that we stopped in was Toulouse not Marseille. I could not find this option in the drop down box. Marseille is only about 1.5hrs away by train from Toulose. It was windy we we docked.

We had to purchase from Celebrity a boat transportation to bet to the other side of Toulose. It costed $15/person roundtrip.

I wanted to take the bus to the Cable Car and go up to Mount Faron but it is closed from November to February as I was told by the guy from the Information desk. You can still go by taxi but you can not go on the cable car. We just walked around town and along the water. Next time I will make my way to Marseilee or Nice.

More Marseille Reviews Marseille Port Profile Marseille Forum
Barcelona
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Barcelona is obviously a destination that everybody must go. We we got off the ship there was a pier transfer bus to take us to the beginning of Las Ramblas. This bus cost only 2 Euros each way.

My wife and I took the metro from Las Ramblas to Diagonal station and transferred lines to Sagrada Familia station where the famous unfinished Gaudi tower was. An amazing church. Went up the tower(extra fee)to get an amazing scenery of Barcelona.

After we took the metro to another Gaudi's work called Park Guell.

We later took the metro to shopping district and walk down Catalonia and ended up in Las Ramlas street to the beginning point of our trip. Major shopping strip for people who likes high end or low end.

Paella is a must try for those who never had it before.

We then took the bus that took cruise passengers back to the dock.

More Barcelona Reviews Barcelona Port Profile Barcelona Forum
Tenerife
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
When we got off the ship we went looking for the information office again. They recommended that we take the tram up to La Laguna. Cost for the tram was only 2 Euros each way per person. The tram takes 30 minutes to go up to the end of the line which ends up in the town of La Laguna, formerly the capital of Tenerife.

It was a nice unique town to walk around. That was all we did. We had lunch there and and then decided to take the tram back down to the port.

This was our last port before spending 7 days at sea crossing the Atlantic.

More Tenerife Reviews Tenerife Port Profile Tenerife Forum