Member Reviews

Destination: Hawaii
Member Review: Australman's Pride of America Review
Maui
Port Rating: Not Rated
Maui, Not what I quite expected. Didn't take a shore excursion from the ship but did our own thing with a car rental.

Reflecting on the time available I would not recommend doing "The Road to Hana".

As Nice as it was it was a huge day and exhausting if you drive it yourself.

Go maybe as far as Twin falls then go to the needle see the south coast or a mountain it would be a better use of time to see more.

Lahaina was nice needed more time, we lost a bit due to finding free wifi and taking my laundry to a laundramat as the ship prices were out of this world $4.50 for a shirt and about $2 for an item of underwear, did a whole bag for $9.

40min local bus trip to Lahaina and there was plenty to see wish I had more time.

More Maui Reviews Maui Port Profile Maui Forum
Hilo
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Enjoyed Hilo and again a car rental to visit the Volcano National Park.

Visitors Centre, Lava Tubes down to see the past lava flows toward the coast mind blowing as it covers such a vast area.

Continued past the park to Black sands Beach in the Punaluu beach Park. Not the sunniest of days but nice and warm and a few turtles baking on the beach.

yes the sand is black and very course.

We also proceeded down a little further to Naalehu for the Punaluu Bakery.

Great day out.

Hilo can be wet as it was for us when we arrived and was cold in the mountains and still a little damp. Take something warm. but make sure you can take it off again later when it gets hot near the coast.

More Hilo Reviews Hilo Port Profile Hilo Forum
Kona
Port Rating: Not Rated
This was a slowdown and relax day nothing planned. time to get that WiFi again check out a few of the close places to look at.

For some reason i enjoyed Kona yet probably did the least here.

i just got that feeling that I was relaxed and could really spend some time here.

This is a place I would like to return to and spend more time. I believe this is a place if you visited you would go home totally saying that was a holiday.

More Kona Reviews Kona Port Profile Kona Forum
Kauai
Port Rating: Not Rated
Kauai was a place that intrigued me as this is where movies were made.

Car Hire day again, through some small historical villages and on our way to Waimea Canyon. We stopped at the old Russian Fort where we met up with the first of the chickens. Chickens what's he on about? During the 1990's there was a hurricane that scattered chickens from a farm all over the island and thats where they are today ALL over the island hundreds and hundreds of them no matter where you go you will find chickens.Anyway just next to the Russian Fort was the landing site of Capt James Cook who landed here in 1778, 8 years after discovering Australia thus my interest. After the Fort we proceeded to the canyon and what a site. Discribed as the Grand Canyon Of the Pacific and Grand it was.

The colour was also amazing. Went to a few other lookouts before turning around and heading back to town.

Continueing through town we continued North to view lookouts, Lighthouses, Wildlife rufuges. Beaches and the waves that come in on the Northern beaches are great. i could sit and watch them for hours. My Daughter tasted her first fresh Coconut milk straight from the nut here.

Day 2 was Chopper day. expensive to say the least but what can I say you live once. This day was packed with Gob smacking beauty we went early and got good weather that permitted us to see the tallest mountain on ther island which is also said to be the wettest place on earth. Jurassic Falls Na Pali Coast and many more inbetween. we Traveled with Mauna Loa Helicopters as this offered a 3 seat chopper and gauranteed to fly weather permitting as we were 3 as were the seats on the chopper.

I had heard of people booking but because all the seats were not sold they would not go until they all were. Also there are weight restrictions so if you are a little on the heavey side like some then wit5h this mob no worries they do up to 270lb where some cop out at 240 or 230lb.

We loved the chopper flight an hour well spent.

i could live here