Member Reviews

Destination: Bahamas
Member Review: peacefrog0521's Norwegian Sky Review
Freeport
Beach Break Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
After Lucaya Cricket Ground, Sonny took me back to Taino Beach where I hung out for a few hours. I walked along the rocky beach to the quiet area with no people, and just enjoyed the breeze and the open clear blue water. After walking back I had a couple of beers (two for $7) and chilled out, then went into the water for a bit. It was still warm, or at least not cold, even on a partly cloudy day. I kinda wish I'd tried the stand-up paddle-boarding.

On my way out before catching the taxi back to port, I bought a cheap $10 watch at the trinket shop, ostensibly so I could use it instead of carrying my phone around to keep time. Too bad it didn't work.

They squeezed at least 12 people into that little minivan going back to the cruise port. I wasn't sure we'd make it, though there was plenty of time.

City Tour Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
After much haggling and wrangling, Sonny was able to drop the other passengers at Taino Beach, then took me to the Lucaya Cricket Club at my specific request. (While this increased the cost to $30, it included the trip back to the beach, and the return to port.) He took me around, introduced me to the club manager, and was able to take me inside the clubhouse for a look around. Much of it had been badly damaged by Hurricane Sandy, but much more by neglect. Cricket just isn't the national sport in the Bahamas. But it was enlightening all the same, and a much more real and memorable experience than I might have gotten otherwise.

More Freeport Reviews Freeport Port Profile Freeport Forum
Nassau
Port Rating: Not Rated
After checking email with the marketplace's free wifi and then a lengthy wait, I was escorted by taxi for $10 to an area close to Haynes Oval and Fort Charlotte. The driver actually said I could walk back. I walked out on my own and had a couple pints ($11.50) at the Cricket Club pub, then walked around the grounds and the pitch. Then I pushed myself in a sprint up the steep hill to the fort, looked around, and sure enough, I could see the cruise port. So I walked back down the hill by the side of the road, leading eventually to the beach. I zig-zagged through the streets of the town, and even stopped into the Bahamas Historical Society, before stopping at a nearby bar for a couple beers and then back onto the ship. A really good day.
More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum