Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > otispunkmeyer's Port Reviews of Miami, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau

otispunkmeyer's Port Reviews of Miami, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau
Norwegian Epic cruise in November 2012
Member Name: otispunkmeyer
Cruise Date: November 2012
Member Review: otispunkmeyer's Norwegian Epic Review
Miami
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
After the tribulation that was finding the Miami airport rental car return - the supplied address from Virgin for our rental return led us to a derelict Alamo rental depot. All the rental companies now reside in a new complex next to the airport. This has been so for a year. There is no excuse for not knowing this Virgin! The airport is undergoing massive remodelling and the signage is absolutely awful, we were lucky we found it - the shuttle to the port was quick and painless, as was embarkation.

Okay so it took a little longer than it should have to get us all checked in, but we ended up with a newbie who was obviously training on the job. By the time she'd put the 6 of us through the guys either side of her had sorted out about 5 times as many people. But once that was done, boarding was a breeze. Our bags weren't in our room when we got there, but as we'd only dropped them off not that long ago that was to be expected. A wander round the ship and a bit of food and the bags were in our room. It was just EASY. It beats the hell out of airport check ins.

Similarly disembarkation at the other end of the trip was even more painless. Absolutely brilliant.

More Miami Reviews Miami Port Profile Miami Forum
St. Maarten
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
With myself and my girlfriend having been here before (the other four in our party all first timers) we knew what to expect. Big shopping island, about 3 ships in so lots of people about. The first time I was here it was quite exciting and there are lots of shops to choose from if jewellery, watches and cameras are your poison. But this time I just thought it was a bit meh. It was very hot and I had no desire to trudge through shop after shop selling the same things.

We took a trip to sunset beach (Maho) to watch the jetliners arrive and takeoff which was cool. Very busy down there though and thanks to road works on the way back the traffic was horrendous and it took over an hour. Good job we left the beach early to get back or we would have missed the boat!

More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum
St. Thomas
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
The virgin islands were mine and my girlfriends favourite on the last cruise and so it was this time. Again very well serviced port as in St. Maarten, with a glut of shops right on the door step and plenty of cabbies to whisk you away to various locations. We ended up at a quiet beach, secret beach, where the water was clear and like a mill pond. Great for a swim and snorkel.

More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum
Nassau
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
This was the first time any of us had been to the bahamas and Nassau. To be honest this one was a bit of a let down. The harbour area was very built up and didnt look all that inviting. We elected to take a short taxi-man guided tour of some of the island to see the forts and other things, but it was a bit weak to be honest. I didnt care much for seeing where poor, middle class and rich people live. The tour ended at the famous Atlantis hotel.

Again I just didn't care for it. Apparently normal rooms are $300-$500 a night plus and the royal penthouse bridge is $25k a night for a minimum of 5 nights. I found the whole thing really chintzy and gaudy. I can't for the life of me thing why you would pay that much then have to share a hotel with a load of us riff raffers wandering about the place in droves gawking at stuff. The Atlantis harbour was full of super yachts... again I can't see why. If I had a yacht I wouldnt be wasting my money pitching up at this place, its just awful.

To top it off the weather was bad as well. Very overcast and not especially warm, it then rained for about 20 minutes. The best part of this visit was taking the shabby water taxi back from near atlantis to the ships. The little boat was an absolute beater and we got to sit on the bow for the trip back. The Health and Safety men back home would of had a fit had they saw us sat 1ft away from falling in and being run over, with a rusty anchor on the deck ready and waiting to give you a nasty gash and the solitary, battered life jacket dangling over the side, half in the water. It was brilliant.

We were back on the ship well in advance of the time required, just did not care for Nassau.

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum