Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > unaversatility's Port Reviews of St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, Martinique, Dominica, St. Thomas

Noordam cruise in November 2012
Member Name: unaversatility
Cruise Date: November 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Member Review: unaversatility's Noordam Review
St. Maarten
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We went shopping on St Maarten and visited a lovely little Rum Bar where we sampled a selection of the local rum's and my friend bought one which was collected upon returning to the ship and returned to her on the last day of the cruise.

The selection of shops at Port were excellent and covered a large area which was very clean.

More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum
St. Lucia
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
As well as shopping in St Lucia we went for a paddle in the Caribbean Sea.

The Dock was very close to the town and beach, we took a taxi in but walked back. There was even a little shop with clothes for dogs and it had food and water bottles outside.

The town and beach were very clean.

More St. Lucia Reviews St. Lucia Port Profile St. Lucia Forum
Barbados
Port Rating: 0.0 out of 5+
In Barbados we took a lovely taxi tour of Bridgetown and it's surrounding area with Carson's Taxi Service (http://iriebarbadostours.com) we saw Rihanna's old home, one of the wooden shacks that stand on stones so they can be moved if necessary as the owners do not own the land they are on. We saw the Cricket Ground and Carson and I discussed this and my visits to Lords, the Oval and other cricket grounds. We also saw some very expensive houses with lovely gardens, some new council housing which the renters will own in 20-25 years of paying rent and some lovely beaches.

More Barbados Reviews Barbados Port Profile Barbados Forum
Martinique
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
We visited Martinique on a Sunday but I found that the local Tourist Guides were very organised, we were directed to a taxi rank from where we were taken into town and told we'd be picked up in the same area. There was a Guide on the corner who informed us about some local dance exhibition taking place a few streets away, we made our way there passing many more Guides en route. The Dancing and Singing were lovely and I recorded much of it on my camcorder to enjoy again later, On the way back to the taxi we found open shops and passed a lovely church with it's doors open and the lovely hymn singing and music was enchanting to hear in the streets. We walked towards the sea and found a lovely market just across the road from where we'd been dropped in the taxi. When we left the market there was a taxi and driver waiting but I informed them we were just going into one more shop which I pointed out and he waited for us to finish our shopping before taking us back to the ship.

More Martinique Reviews Martinique Port Profile Martinique Forum
Dominica
Whale & Dolphin Watching Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
At Dominica we had an organised Dolphin and Whale excursion in a small boat, the rain was pouring down and we were pleased to see that the boat had a covered deck. The Dolphins were amazing, one actually jumped up and spun like at the Dolphin shows and I actually caught this on camera. The only disappointment was that the Sperm Whales were not available, possibly delayed in their pilgrimage to spawn by the recent storm. There was a lovely warehouse of market stalls to shop in when we returned to dock, and just to make the day perfect it had stoped raining soon after our sightseeing tour began.

More Dominica Reviews Dominica Port Profile Dominica Forum
St. Thomas
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
At St Thomas my friend stayed in the dock area where there were many shops and Lizards to photograph while my sister and I took a local tour of the island with many interesting stops ending up in the local town for shopping. We didn't need to stop in the town as we'd managed to get all our shopping on the tour which was very interesting and I;ll never forget the Donkey with it's hat and glasses to photograph for a price as usual. I only wanted to video it but ended up having to stand with it to get video'd and the tour driver had to negotiate my video of the Donkey. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me as everyone else was waiting to continue the tour.

More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum
Half Moon Cay
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We arrived a Half Moon Cay which should perhaps have been renamed Quarter Moon as much of the beach had been wash away by the storm. We did Tai Chi on the beach but it was on a hilly bit as the flat bits were gone or occupied by loungers. We took a Clam Shell which came with two loungers so we ordered a mat which by the time my sister and I collected proved unnecessary as my friend had managed to get a third lounger inside the Clam Shell shade. We used the mat when we went in to swim as my sister is not a confident swimmer. It was lovely to swim in the Caribbean Sea.

The Lunch laid on by the Crewe of the Noordam was excellent and there were another two bars with snacks which looked good too but I enjoyed the Mahi mahi (fish) at the Open Air Buffet and the cakes were wonderful too.

More Half Moon Cay Reviews Half Moon Cay Port Profile Half Moon Cay Forum
Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
We started and finished our Cruise here and found the facilities and staff extremely good. We organised a transfer to the airport by Coach from the Noordam and found the driver very helpful and the journey comfortable.

More Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Reviews Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Port Profile Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Forum