Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > honeychile's Port Reviews of Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

honeychile's Port Reviews of Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk
Carnival Liberty cruise in November 2012
Member Name: honeychile
Cruise Date: November 2012
Member Review: honeychile's Carnival Liberty Review
Nassau
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Nassau seems to be a port of call on almost every cruise to the Bahamas. We've been here several times before, so we decided to make a quick trip from the ship and then come back for lunch to enjoy the ship amenities for the rest of the day. This was a good plan. I got to swim laps in the pool and enjoy the view from our balcony. My sister and her husband enjoyed the zoo.

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum
St. Thomas
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We had only planned one excursion (helmet dive at St. Thomas) and it was cancelled due to the turbulent sea storms which made it difficult to see. I was very disappointed that Carnival didn't let us know ahead of time, but I don't understand how that works and hesitate to place blame where it doesn't belong. We got a lightning-fast refund (posted to our ship account) without even asking about it. We wanted to take the cable-car tour, but found that it was not working (for several weeks), which was also disappointing. My sister and her husband took a tour of the island; my husband and I walked to the Butterfly Farm. Both of us were satisfied with our choices. I'd like to visit this port again and see more. We were able to find two geocaches while there, which always adds to the fun of a new port.
More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum
San Juan
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Just as we got off the ship (and too far away to quickly run back), the bottom fell out and we were drenched. I had a little disposable rain poncho, but it was very hot and didn't protect my head (hood kept blowing off) or skirt, which got heavy and wet. My sister's shoe broke. So we parked her husband at a museum and walked back to the ship to start over. After a change of clothes and renewing our attitude, we headed out again. The rain stopped after a little while and we were able to enjoy our self-guided walking tour of Old San Juan. I would recommend a small umbrella for these kinds of situations -- I think that would've been better than the rain poncho. But, in any event, being prepared for unwelcome weather is a must. I was very pleased that we were able to do most of what we'd planned, visiting many historic locations in Old San Juan, including El Morro, now a part of the US National Park Service. We also agreed that next time, we will take better shoes, ones actually made for walking instead of little water shoes or sandals. We found several geocaches in Old San Juan, which added to the fun. I felt very safe here, and had a good time. My sister and I hula-hooped at El Morro and got some great photos.

More San Juan Reviews San Juan Port Profile San Juan Forum
Grand Turk
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Grand Turk was our "beach day" and it was a lovely day indeed. We had no trouble finding chairs on the beach. My husband snoozed and people-watched on the beach almost the whole time. I shopped, swam, snorkled, and even spotted a few fish with my dive camera. It seemed a little odd to be swimming so close to where the ship was docked, but it was very pleasant. The beach area is a little rocky. Make sure you take water shoes so that you don't hurt your feet and watch your footing. As the tide changed, I found myself having to climb out of an area that I'd stepped into earlier. My husband didn't have water shoes and I was able to get some very inexpensively ($19.99) here. I bought an inexpensive piece of jewelry and enjoyed shopping. There are two geocaches within easy walking distance of the cruise port and I enjoyed finding one I hadn't found before. The last time we were in Grand Turk, we did the SNUBA excursion, but there's really plenty to do without paying extra if you enjoy the beach and pool -- we didn't visit the pool this time, but it's huge and very easy to find a place to enjoy the day there, too. If you don't like the hoochie Mama dancing that is encouraged close to the bars, just move on down and you can avoid this completely. I was able to pick up free WIFI on the beach and on the ship, which gave me a chance to catch up without paying fees.

More Grand Turk Reviews Grand Turk Port Profile Grand Turk Forum