Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > TheGoomba's Port Reviews of Cartagena (Colombia), Colon (Cristobal), Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera), Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas

Celebrity Infinity cruise in October 2012
Member Name: TheGoomba
Cruise Date: October 2012
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Member Review: TheGoomba's Celebrity Infinity Review
Cartagena (Colombia)
Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
Part of a deluxe package to visit the castle fort, inquicision palace, and tour of the city.

Being in Colombia itself was a treat and the locals were very nice (non merchants), saying 'welcome to our country', 'enjoy your stay' (we speak spanish).

This part of the tour was around 20 minutes, I enjoyed the scenic view of the fort and walking up was also fun. I wished we could of stayed an extra 20 minutes or so to explore, but the guide would come yell at you the second you ventured away from the group. Once you reach the top, theres about a 5 minute stop at a souvenir shop.

City Tour Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

This part of the tour was over 60+ minutes and in my opinion was the best part. I loved the colonial style buildings and the long walk through the town, many small vendors along the way but none were too pushy. Would definitely be interested in a longer city tour if I were to visit again.

Palacio de la Inquisicion Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

This part of the tour was around 30 minutes, I did enjoy the history aspect and seeing the devices, but it was very packed and we had to breeze through some exhibits to make room for other tours.

More Cartagena (Colombia) Reviews Cartagena (Colombia) Port Profile Cartagena (Colombia) Forum
Colon (Cristobal)
Rainforest Aerial Tram Tour Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
About an hour and 20 minute drive to reach Gamboa, the sightseeing along the way was nice and my first experience of a highway ride outside of US/Mexico.

The Tram itself was not very good in my opinion, we managed to see a toucan for about 4 seconds and an iguana laying on some leafs. The guide said that the location is very lively from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., sadly our ship didn't arrive until 9:00 a.m. to the port.

Once the tram ride reaches the summit, theres a brief trail that leads to a tower with some spectacular views. I took took some pictures from here and also saw Gamboa again the next day when we travesed the canal. Probably the best part of the exursion was here.

Heading back down the tram it began to rain and the staff at gamboa handed out rain coats and provided a turket sandwich lunch. After this we viewed some small exihibits for reptiles, fish/crocs/turtles, butterflys, and a garden.

More Colon (Cristobal) Reviews Colon (Cristobal) Port Profile Colon (Cristobal) Forum
Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera)
Zip-Lining Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Our first 'activity' and this did not disappoint. We had a great time and would recommend doing this activity again. There is some streneous hiking involved and some upper body stregth is required if you don't 'zip' fast enough by you braking early. The experience and scenic views are amazing, even after the zip lining is over, there is a river nearby full of crocs. We walked over and took some pictures after the excursions before heading back to the ship.

My only complaint would be the equipment, it reeks of sweat and the gloves were very worm/wet/dirty. I would advise you to bring a baseball cap to protect yourself from the smelly helmets and potentially your own zip lining gloves if you don't want to use their worm gloves.

Not listed on the tour, but there is a great flea market directly off the port, got some great soveniers and we walked to a local grocery store to buy cheap costa rica coffee to take home.

More Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera) Reviews Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera) Port Profile Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera) Forum
Puerto Vallarta
Port Rating: Not Rated
Been here in the past when i was younger, we mainly walked around the shopping area. We initially walked to Walmart to get some snacks, then took a $5 cab ride for 2 people (instructed the cab driver to drop us off at diamonds international, which is the beginning of the shopping strip). Took some great pictures, we'll do an activity if we visit again.

Big negative was reboarding the ship, we were instructed to be back by 2:45 p.m., we got back at 1:45 p.m. and it took over an over of standing in the hot sun before boarding. Once we reached the front, they were out of water to pass out, it was horrible.

More Puerto Vallarta Reviews Puerto Vallarta Port Profile Puerto Vallarta Forum
Cabo San Lucas
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Was booked through ship, but vendor was cabo adventures.

The best activity for us, after tendering off the ship (takes about 12 minutes), we took a sea and snorkel tour (don't confuse this with the deluxe snorkel tour which had mixed reviews before we booked). We were probably some of the youngest cruisers on our ship (31 years old), only 5 people booked this excursion with one being a crew member! a gentleman from new zealand, my wife and I, another guy from the states and a shore excursion ship staff member. Due to this, the vendor also brought along people not from the ship. A mom and daughter on vacation from mexico city, a vacationing couple, and one solo guy vacationing.

We boarded a speedboat meant for 21 passengers (only 10 of us) so there was plenty of room. The guide explained the history and where all the celebritys live. Once we reached the snorkel location, we had the option of sea kayaking, access to those torpedo devices while snorkeling and some boogie board type thing. We spent our 2 hours snorkeling and we just didn't want to leave, the view was amazing and at one point I floated to an area where the fishes were surrounding me, I was afraid to strech out my arm to due the amount of fishes! haha Would definitely return just for this experience and the port is full of other activities. The guide mentioned that the best snorkel season in cabo is between october-december and the water was warm when we visited.

On the way back, we toured the cabo rock and lovers beach, there was a seal that swan right next to our book looking for a snack.

More Cabo San Lucas Reviews Cabo San Lucas Port Profile Cabo San Lucas Forum