Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > Beersnob's Port Reviews of Halifax, Saint John (New Brunswick), Bar Harbor, Portland (Maine)

Jewel of the Seas cruise in October 2012
Member Name: Beersnob
Cruise Date: October 2012
Embarkation: Boston
Destination: Canada & New England
Member Review: Beersnob's Jewel of the Seas Review
Halifax
Historic Tour Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
It was a big deal for me to finally visit the Fairview Cemetery where so many Titanic victims were buried. We also got a tour around the city, site of where the ice rink morgue was, etc.

It also included admission to the Maritime Museum which had artifacts from Titanic that had never been salvaged, but rather pulled out of the ocean when teh tragedy occurred. My only complaint was a wish I'd been told the Acadia exhibit closed at 3p, hours before the rest of the museum. I didn't get to board her because of that.

More Halifax Reviews Halifax Port Profile Halifax Forum
Saint John (New Brunswick)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
the highlight was the Old Marketplace, lots to see and do in there. Also, the Big Tide Brewing Company was fun.

My wife found a boutique shop she really liked, but I forget the name (on Princess, near Charlotte, I believe).

More Saint John (New Brunswick) Reviews Saint John (New Brunswick) Port Profile Saint John (New Brunswick) Forum
Bar Harbor
Port Rating: Not Rated
To us, it was the quintessential New England town. Fun to explore on foot.

The highlight was the Lazy Lobster restaurant. Great food and wonderful owners.

I wish more things had been open since it was getting near the end of the tourist season.

Next time I want to spend a day in Acadia.

More Bar Harbor Reviews Bar Harbor Port Profile Bar Harbor Forum
Portland (Maine)
Port Rating: Not Rated
Felt a bit too much like home (medium sized city).

We probably should have done an excursion, but instead walked all around the Old Port and found a couple microbreweries along the way. Gritty's was my favorite.

More Portland (Maine) Reviews Portland (Maine) Port Profile Portland (Maine) Forum