Member Reviews

Destination: Alaska
Member Review: JudyA_TX's Star Princess Review
Ketchikan
Misty Fjords Flightseeing Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Due to being the only cruise ship in port that day, we had only 7 people on our trip. The weather was spectacular, the pilot was friendly and knowledgeable. He was almost giddy at the prospect of getting to fly in such perfect weather after weeks and weeks of rain. There was absolutely nothing that could have made the excursion any better.

Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Due to being the only cruise ship in port that day, we had only 7 people on our trip. The weather was spectacular, the boat's crew was friendly and knowledgeable. There was absolutely nothing that could have made the excursion any better.

More Ketchikan Reviews Ketchikan Port Profile Ketchikan Forum
Juneau
Mendenhall Glacier Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Our glacier tour was combined with a whale-watching excursion and it was focused on photography. Our guide was an experienced photographer and she helped us each set our cameras so we could get the best possible images of the glacier. But the highlight of this stop was getting to see a black bear sow fishing in the creek along with her two cubs!

Whale Watching Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Ours was a photography-centered cruise and the guide was an experienced whale researcher and photographer. She was incredibly knowledgeable and very friendly. The boat captain really knew his stuff and stayed in radio contact with other boats so that we could see as many whales as possible. We ended up seeing some humpbacks and ... incredibly ... some "orcas in love!" The guide said she had never seen that sort of "frisky" behavior among orcas on any whale-watching trip before.

More Juneau Reviews Juneau Port Profile Juneau Forum
Skagway
Gold Panning Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
I really didn't like this bit at all. It was SO touristy. I felt as though I was at Six Flags and being shuttled through just so I could end up in the gift shop to buy gold jewelry. Yes, we had the chance to try panning for gold in warm water troughs. And, yes, I did end up finding $14.66 worth of gold flakes (according to the woman who weighed my gold in the gift shop). But that was about it. I wouldn't do that again.

White Pass Scenic Railway Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
I have to rate this down a bit due to the weather. If you don't have perfectly clear weather, it's really nothing more than just a train ride. The narrator kept saying "If it weren't so foggy, you'd have a fantastic view of ..." I heard from others on the ship who took the train in the afternoon rave about the gorgeous views. So my advice is to book it so you can ride in the afternoon.

More Skagway Reviews Skagway Port Profile Skagway Forum