Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > allenson14's Port Reviews of Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria

allenson14's Port Reviews of Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria
Destination: Alaska
Member Review: allenson14's Star Princess Review
Ketchikan
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Ketchikan was a good place to see once you got away from the touristy areas. The one thing that is prevalent on all the ports was the jewelry stuff..a lot overdone if you ask me...We just walked around the town and saw some of the non tourist stuff which was good for us. If we bought anything we tried to make sure it was from a local, not a cruise ship affiliate. Overall it was a neat little town.

More Ketchikan Reviews Ketchikan Port Profile Ketchikan Forum
Juneau
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
When we came to Juneau, we arrived only a few minutes from the downtown area. There is a lot of shopping to do as a tourist. If you want a good experience I suggest the Mount Roberts Tramway.

It gave us a great view of the downtown from a long way up. At the top there is a nature preserve, complete with a gift shop and lots of trails to take. We had a good time with this. As for shopping, there were a couple of interesting shops to visit, but mostly just trinket shops. I am sure if we were to have taken an excursion, we would have seen more of Juneau, but even if you don't, you should be able to enjoy yourself.

More Juneau Reviews Juneau Port Profile Juneau Forum
Skagway
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
I found Skagway to be the best of the stops. I was fascinated by the architecture of the old buildings and found that if you get away from the downtown, you can see more of the town and what it really must be like when no tourists are there. We found some good local shops to buy from and the folks were very friendly and helpful. I would have loved to take the train trip, but we did not plan well enough to do so...but I still really enjoyed my time here.

More Skagway Reviews Skagway Port Profile Skagway Forum
Victoria
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Victoria seems to me to be just a place to stop on the way back to Seattle. When you arrive at 7 pm, there is not a lot to see in the dark, although I will say I took some excellent night photos.

I have been to Victoria before, years ago, and not much changed. The downtown port area was very vibrate even at night. I am sure some of the excursions would have been fun, but otherwise, just a shopping area.

More Victoria Reviews Victoria Port Profile Victoria Forum