Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > thegima's Port Reviews of Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

thegima's Port Reviews of Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom of the Seas cruise in September 2012
Member Name: thegima
Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Member Review: thegima's Freedom of the Seas Review
Labadee
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Labadee is a great port for relaxing on the beach, and we did just that. We ended up over in adventurers cove which if we could pick again I'd of gone to the opposite side (Columbus Cove I think). There were zero waves because of the rock wall and the water was a bit murky however we did snorkel and see some lion fish (stay away from them!) Adventurers cove is directly under the zip lines which is cool to watch while you lounge. RC guys walk around the beach all day offering drinks which is nice. They also do a beach cook out type thing under the pavilions with all food off the ship, was actually good. We were the only ship there that day and it was pretty packed, I couldn't imagine having a ship like Oasis or Allure there with FOS - it would be way too crowded. The dragons breath rock thing was closed when we went, too bad - I really wanted to get out there and take some photos. I'm not sure if it's closed for good or just was that day. Getting on/off the ship was pretty simple although it seemed like every metal detector I went through was set to a different sensitivity. The ones on the ship didn't mind my belt but the ones here wanted no part of it. The first time the guy just ran the wand around my belt and OK'd me but the second time the guy made a big deal about it and made me take the belt off and hold the line up. Then looked at me like i was retarded when the belt didn't make it through the x-ray thing. Overall the place was beautiful, looking forward to going back.

More Labadee Reviews Labadee Port Profile Labadee Forum
Falmouth
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
I was really excited to see Jamaica, was on the balcony and couldn't wait to get off and go explore. Made it off the ship in no time and took some photos around the main building where you go through security. Then as you're walking in you will likely be approached by the Jamaican stilt guys which are fun. However beware if you give them your camera to take a picture with they will ALL expect a tip as a trade to get your camera back, I watched it happen and asked someone else that got off the ship with us to take the photo instead. The going rate is $1 per stilt man apparently and they don't hesitate to snatch it from your hand. After that we walked around and checked the shops while being hawked by the people that work there just following us around offering a better price if we were interested. I was specifically looking for some Appleton's rum (made in Jamaica) and after browsing some of the prices there I was shocked to see that it was cheaper on the ship. We walked out to the compound's edge where there were no less than 100 guys waiting to sell you anything they could think of as soon as you stepped out of the gate. Some people went out and we really wanted to walk out and explore some of the town but decided not to after the guy came up to the fence and tried to get me to come over there. I guess they don't realize that if they were more friendly and left people alone it would bring more money to that town in general. The GF's parents actually went outside of the gates and were followed more than 2 blocks by a guy at which point they turned around and came back because he simply wouldn't leave them alone. We met one of the street vendors inside the port that was carving bamboo cups, got to talking with him and ended up buying a bamboo cup which he just made in front of us, only good thing that came out of that port. The GF wanted to get a picture frame but after having to argue that $25 was too much for a cheap plastic picture frame we decided to just call it a day and get back on the ship. This seems to be an unavoidable stop for RCCL Western Caribbean, hopefully they make the port a bit friendly or they're going to end up with a ship full of people that day.
More Falmouth Reviews Falmouth Port Profile Falmouth Forum
Grand Cayman
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Grand Cayman was one of my favorite places. There is a lot of money here, people are very friendly, prices are not outrageous, drivers are courteous, and people aren't following you trying to sell you things! We had an excursion set for 11:30a which was the island tour and turtle farm so we were able to get off the ship early and walk around before our excursion but unfortunately we arrived at 8am ship time, 7am local time so not many places were open yet. They were starting to open around 9-10ship time so we stopped @ Hard Rock and picked up a t-shirt, got some little things and a picture frame then made a run back to the ship to drop these items off before our excursion. Took no time at all to ride the tender back and forth, less than 30 minutes total. We met about about 11:15 for our tour and were greeted and separated into groups and assigned a driver. We met our driver and he escorted us to his bus which was running and had the a/c on (nice touch). Started the tour and made a few stops at the local history sites, and then made our way to Hell. Pretty neat place, got some good photos and a post card but can't say I'd ever want to go back.. There isn't much there. Next stop was the Rum Cake Factory, which would have been enjoyed more if there were not 10-15 other tours there. The place was so packed we couldn't even get in the doors and once we did it was too crowded to even look around. We went outside and got some pictures with the pirate on the deck there and then made our way down by the water to take some more pictures. The water and rocks out there are amazing, I wish we could have snorkeled out in that area - it was beautiful! Back in the bus and across the street to the turtle farm, by far the best part of this tour. You can get in a tank with a turtle (up to your knees in water), or hold one from the side of the tank, or watch other people hold them. The people working there are friendly, guy by the turtle holding area is standing by with hand cleaner after you handle the turtles. Iguanas everywhere, fun to see. We stayed there about an hour and then headed back to port. By the time we got back we had already done our shopping and just wanted to get back on the ship, good luck! The line was wrapped all the way out of the port almost. We stood and watched hoping the line would go down but it seemed to keep getting longer so we finally got inline and it took about 30 minutes to actually get on the tender back. Once we were on they decided to take the alcohol over on the tender we rode which was cool to see. They loaded about 15boxes onto the ship and off it went with us. Rather neat how they label it too with stateroom number and quantity. Overall this was my favorite port, very friendly people and fair prices all around. Will try stingray city next time we stop here.

More Grand Cayman Reviews Grand Cayman Port Profile Grand Cayman Forum
Cozumel
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We booked a reservation @ Nachi Cocom for the day so that's where we spent 90% of the day. Getting on/off at this port was really easy, the pier was really large and plenty of room to walk. Got off the ship about 10am and made our way down the pier through the gauntlet of people wanting to sell you things, really wasn't too bad since there were so many people that just got off the ship.

There is a nice little exit/taxi station setup when you come to the end which has a board that actually lists prices for destinations in USD, nachi cocom is listed at $15 for 1-4people. English speaking guy asked us where we were going and pointed us to a van with a driver standing next to it and told the driver Nachi Cocom. The driver was very nice, opened doors and put down a wooden step for us to get into the van (which really wasn't needed but he did anyway) - he held a conversation most of the way there and was pretty fluent in English.

It was about a 10-15 minute ride down the road which was big wide main type road with higher speeds, about 60mph I'd guess. Pulled up to a gated entrance with little guard shack where the driver and guard exchanged words and then down a narrow dirt road to the parking lot/entrance.

He went around the parking lot and pulled up right in front of the entrance where he came around and opened the doors and put down the wooden step again. I was the last one out and I slipped him a $20 and told him to have a great day.

Before we were even out of the van a younger lady greeted us and lined us up for the (what seemed non-optional) sombrero photo which was kind of fun. She snapped two photos and walked us up to the check in desk where we were asked for our reservation and remaining balance which I had. I made it a point to have the exact amount that was owed when we went to avoid any issue with change, not that there would have been but just in case. Everything checked out and we were awarded our purple wristbands.

Carlos was our waiter and showed us to our chairs making sure they were cleaned off with no sand before we sat down. Instantly took our orders for drinks and was back within a couple minutes. We all had multiple bottles of water, local beers, "miami vices", and "dirty monkeys" all of which were great.

Note about the drinks, the "miami vice" is a strawberry drink with rum in it. The dirty monkey as already mentioned in this thread has banana taste too it. I had tasted some of the fruity drinks on the ship and could always tell instantly there was rum in them. Here you could tell but i don't think they put quite as much alcohol in their drinks. It was only about 10:30am so maybe the bartender was just warming up..? lol

About 30 minutes after arriving Jaime came around offering their on-site excursion type things, snorkeling, massage, and parasailing from what I remember. We were interested in the snorkeling because we missed out on water in the caymans and jamaica so we told him we wanted to do the snorkeling but not until the afternoon since they were going out at 11 and we just got there. He said ok, he would come back and get us around 1.

Right after that the young lady that took our picture came around with a pretty decent photo of the 4 of us. We actually all looked normal and were smiling, so we bought two of them. $12 for 1, or $20 for 2.

Carlos brought us the food menu around 1130-12 i guess, we ordered the following: nachos, guacamole, cheese sticks, fresh grouper, mexican quesadillas, beef and chicken fajitas. Everything was awesome! nicely and neatly prepared. Clean plates and silverware too.

The reason I say there wasn't much alcohol in the drinks is because at the point we ate lunch and decided we were going snorkeling at 1pm I had already downed 4 miami vices and half of my GF's who didn't want to drink anymore before going snorkeling. I wasn't really "feeling it" one bit but whatever, they were good. We finished eating lunch and waited for Jaime to come back around, he did right about 1 and asked if we were ready. We paid $38/ea which really wasn't too bad considering the ships excursions were twice the price.

We made our way to the pier where there were already 3 other people on the boat waiting. We had the boat driver and a "certified" diver with us, i'm not sure if he was actually certified but he seemed like he knew what he was doing. We spent about 20 minutes on the boat and about an hour in the water. It was beautiful out there, 25-30ft crystal clear water. We stopped in two places and saw: about a dozen or more barracuda, some rays, lots of other fish that were close enough to touch, and near the end a 3-5ft nurse shark. Was one of my highlights of the entire trip was just that snorkeling trip.

Came back to the shore, thanked the guys and went back to get more water and drinks. I would say we were ready to leave about 430, asked Carlos how we could get a taxi and he said he would take care of it. Less than 5 minutes later he said the taxi was here and ready for us. Another $15 + $5 tip for the taxi back to port, flash your seapass card for the security by the taxi station/entrance to port and you're back in the gates. Just follow the gauntlet back the way you came and make your way back to the ship. It was about 5pm as we were going through there so most of the vendors were pretty much done and keeping to themselves at that point so it wasn't too bad at all. We actually got on the ship and dropped off our snorkeling gear, towels etc and got back off about 5:30 to shop around and see what was being offered. GF picked up a nice photo frame for about $10 then we called it a day and got back on the ship.

Other notes.. about Nachi Cocom, there may have been 100 people there the day we went but you would have never known - everything is pretty spread out.

I would say there was never more than 10-15 people in the water at one time so you didn't have to worry about being around people if you wanted to relax in the water.

I saw two kids, probably around age 4-6 but never heard a peep out of them.

The bathrooms were surprisingly clean with nice counters and stalls with doors in the mens. -Only down side is that they are right next to the gift shop (which is just a walk up window) and the excursion place so if you walk in front of there they will surely ask if you're interested. However once you've said no thanks to everyone working there they get the picture.

The pool with swim up bar was very clean and I never saw more than a few people in it. The hot tub is marked for adults only which was kind of nice but it was too hot to be sitting in 100+deg water.

They offer internet/wifi for $5 for the entire day which is great considering what the ships cost. If you had a laptop or tablet you could probably sit by the bar and check mail or whatever. I doubt they had AP's way out by the beach though.

As far as tipping goes.. I made the mistake of not bringing enough cash with me because I didn't anticipate doing the snorkeling thing. I did not tip the snorkel instructor which I felt terrible about considering there was only 5 of us and he kept going down to the bottom to pull up conch's and show us rays. I only had $40 left, and had already decided I was leaving Carlos $20 for myself and the GF because he was awesome. The other $20 I needed to get back to the port so I was kind of stuck. The $20 tip was well received and appreciated, I'm not sure what the going rate for a tip was but he kept our glasses full and always was friendly.

Getting back on the ship here was easy enough, security was on the ship.

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum