Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > sonsan1's Port Reviews of Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

sonsan1's Port Reviews of Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom of the Seas cruise in September 2012
Member Name: sonsan1
Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Member Review: sonsan1's Freedom of the Seas Review
Labadee
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
RCCL's private peninsula in Haiti is drop dead gorgeous! Beautiful beaches, water and GREAT free lunch buffets. Lot's of stuff to do. Dragon's Breath Zip Line is a hoot. The property is so big that RCCL has a trolley system to move you around. I could build a little grass shack there and live out my days sitting under a coconut tree with an umbrella drink in my hand.

More Labadee Reviews Labadee Port Profile Labadee Forum
Falmouth
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
Jamaica would be O.K. but the aggressive soliciting by the locals actually ruined our experience. We probably will pass on Jamaica from now on unless we stay on board or at a resort where we don't interact with everybody who has their hand out.

Dunns River Falls is dangerous. We saw at least 20 people slip, fall, and bust their rear ends. Saw about 3 or 4 sets of crutches back on board for the rest of the week. Be Careful! They also route your exit right through the market where you have to say "No Thank You" about a thousand times. Jeez!

In route to the excursions we got a taste of the poverty that a lot of the locals have to live with.

There is a shore excursion called the Bobsled ride that we enjoyed. You ride up a ski lift type chair to the top of a mountain & then do a gravity powered roller coaster ride through the jungle to the bottom where it climbs back up to the top. That was fun. At the top there is also a cafe that overlooks Ocho Rios and the bay (beautiful view) and serves fantastic Jerk chicken or pork wraps and cold Red Stripe. Yum!

More Falmouth Reviews Falmouth Port Profile Falmouth Forum
Grand Cayman
Dolphin Encounter Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Much fun. Dolphin pushed me on a boogie board, took me for a ride hanging on to it's flippers, played ball with me, kissed me on my cheek, let me kiss her/him/it.

It took placed in a big salt water pool that was clean. The whole facility was nice. Encounter was a nice length and I enjoyed it. Thought it was worth the money. Nice lunch counter with Conch Fritters and cold beer. Downside was the little bus that was provided for transportation. You are crammed onto it and it's overloaded to the point it's uncomfortable. Don't be last on the bus or you will have to sit on a little jump seat that folds down in the aisle.

Stingray Swim Rating: 5+ out of 5+
We went to Stingray City and interacted with wild/tame stingrays at a shallow section of the ocean away from land. It's pretty remarkable that these creatures are so friendly and tolerant. Of course, I would be too if I had free meals everyday :) Nice ride out, plenty of time to enjoy one of those nature "religious" experiences. It was our bucket list and I'm really glad we did it. The water was crystal clear. It's kind of a "must do" thing. Do it!

More Grand Cayman Reviews Grand Cayman Port Profile Grand Cayman Forum
Cozumel
Snorkeling Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Fury Sailing Catamaran. Sail was for show. Zoomed along with twin diesels. Very nice ride, beautiful water, great Mexican crew, free beer (lite) and Margaritas (weak). Stopped at a reef just off shore and snorkeled. It was really nice. Good equipment. Vessel had a wide set of stairs that lowered into the water so you just walked down the stairs, eased into the water and started snorkeling. After about 30 minutes got everybody back on board and went to private beach. Now that was great. Had free toys, floats, chairs on the beach, hammocks under coconut trees and great smelling $11 hamburgers. On the way back did line dancing with the crew to 70' disco music. What a hoot. I recommend this one.Cozumel has really grown up for tourists. Book the "Fury Catamaran Snorkeling and Tiki Beach". It was excellent!

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum