Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > willoL's Port Reviews of Quebec City, Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island), Halifax

Maasdam cruise in August 2012
Member Name: willoL
Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: Montreal
Destination: Canada & New England
Member Review: willoL's Maasdam Review
Quebec City
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Charming city, so amazing to be in North America but feel like you are in Europe. Very nice walk--if quite steep!--from the ship straight into the city. I suggest taking the funicular (glass tram) UP the hill and walk back down unless your primary goal is better fitness. Even with the funicular, expect some hilly walking if you tour this city by foot.

We spent no money (except a few dollars for the funicular) but saw many interesting things. Walking on the old city walls was a highlight for us, as well as the many beautiful works of art in public spaces. It was a hot day, and my children enjoyed splashing in a fountain with local families.

More Quebec City Reviews Quebec City Port Profile Quebec City Forum
Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
First I must admit that the more pastoral landscape of PEI appeals to me less than the more rugged Nova Scotia, so I didn't enjoy the views quite as much which is a huge part of the draw of this port.

The port area was quaint, but a coach ride through rather dull cityscape was necessary to get to the Anne of Green Gables attraction, which a friend had recommended very highly, and he is a person who prefers the "real and gritty" in life to typical tourist stuff. Truly, the Anne of Green Gables area is gorgeous, and the historical structures are interesting to tour. I liked the "haunted woods" walk, though my boys complained that they made it sound spooky when it was really just an easy walk through the woods.

The rest of the island drive was pleasant and interesting, especially if you are interested in farming or food production, but just not quite spectacular FOR MY TASTES. The red rock at the beach did make for stunning photographs, though, and, if I visit again, I might just take my kids for a day to play in that beautiful setting.

More Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island) Reviews Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island) Port Profile Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island) Forum
Halifax
Horsedrawn Trolley Tour Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
There was nothing wrong with this short, one hour tour, but it was the only shore excursion I did with a non-local guide, so I missed the charming accent of a native. We did get a quick glimpse of most of what downtown Halifax has to offer.

Frankly, I'd booked a different excursion before discovering that one member of our party gets motion sickness on a bus. It was too late to cancel and get my money back, so I paid more to take this excursion instead. The slower moving, open air trolley did make for a much more comfortable ride for our carsick son, but the higher cost for a relatively short tour just didn't feel like great VALUE to me.

Having visited Halifax now, I would just walk off the ship and go along the pedestrian boardwalk into town by foot. The town itself looked very interesting, but the at-a-glance tour wasn't the sort of deeper exploration of a place that I prefer. If you are looking for an overview tour just so you can say you've "seen Halifax", this would be quite a fine choice for you!

More Halifax Reviews Halifax Port Profile Halifax Forum