Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > cloverfields's Port Reviews of Istanbul, Izmir, Mykonos, Rhodes

cloverfields's Port Reviews of Istanbul, Izmir, Mykonos, Rhodes
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Member Review: cloverfields's Thomson Celebration Review
Istanbul
Blue Mosque Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Had to queue to get in for about 15 mins in the heat which somewhat spoils the treat when you feel faint. However once inside you see just how beautiful it all is and how well preserved, the blue tiles are beautiful. You have to take your shoes off and carry them around in a bag. I had taken a shawl for my bare shoulders otherwise they give you something to cover up. Not sure I would go back again but glad I have been.

Bosphorus Cruise Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
This was excellent - again a very knowledgeable guide. The houses and palaces on the shores are beautiful. The views of the mosques from here is also good. Would certainly recommend this one, although I think you could do this one independently.

Hagia Sofia Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Enjoyed walking around here and the guide made it very interesting - able to hear well on the headsets. I would have enjoyed this more had I not been so hot, having said that well worth a visit. If you go the 1st landing I would imagine some great photographs. If you were prepared to walk from the ship it would only take about 40 mins to reach on foot. Other passengers took the tram which was very cheap.

Underground Cistern Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Part of another trip. This place is fascinating and actually fantastic when you are so hot!!! You go down about 50 steps and the columns and the water (complete with cod) are all lit up and quite moving. Well worth a visit

More Istanbul Reviews Istanbul Port Profile Istanbul Forum
Izmir
Port Rating: Not Rated
Just had a walk around Izmir and must admit I really didn't see too much as it was so hot. The bazaar is how you would expect and you can easily get lost. Lots to look at - the usual fake goods but some of them are so good you would have to be clever to know the difference. Spices are abundant and pungent and also worth checking out.
More Izmir Reviews Izmir Port Profile Izmir Forum
Mykonos
Port Rating: Not Rated
Lovely Greek Island - wish I had done an excursion here and after walking along the waterfront and around the narrow alleys where the shops are there was little else to do.Would have worn my swimming costume and taken a towel if I had realized I could have had a dip. By the way tried The Greek dish Baklava here - a must as it is a real treat.

More Mykonos Reviews Mykonos Port Profile Mykonos Forum
Rhodes
Port Rating: Not Rated
Another hot day here and wanted to do more. Walked a little around the old walled town where we virtually walked straight off the ship into the town - about 5 mins walk. If you want to buy last minute souvenir's then get away from the main street and to the smaller shops in the streets leading off. Ample cafes and restaurants and be careful when getting a beer as they seemed to be serving them in glass boots. One I saw must have been a giant - not sure how drunk you would be if you managed to down it all. Another day when the temperature was in the late 90's and therefore is very limiting for wanting to explore. Nevertheless a pleasant stop for a meal and lots of gelato!

More Rhodes Reviews Rhodes Port Profile Rhodes Forum