Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > lareefun's Port Reviews of Naples, Rome (Civitavecchia), Florence (Livorno), Cannes, Marseille

Norwegian Epic cruise in July 2012
Member Name: lareefun
Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Member Review: lareefun's Norwegian Epic Review
Naples
Private Tour Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
Pompeii, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. We took a walking tour of Pompeii, drove to Sorrento, stopped to take a photo at a lookout point had lunch, then drove further up the Amalfi Coast, stopped to take a photo at another look out point then drove back to the ship. I was able to take a lot of pictures of the scenery through the bus window along the way. The tour was just OK, the guide informative. I would have liked more time on history and less time for shopping, just me I guess.

More Naples Reviews Naples Port Profile Naples Forum
Rome (Civitavecchia)
Rome On Your Own Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
I booked a Rome on your own tour, then booked a dungeons tour of the Colosseum. I messed up on this one. The tour bus dropped me off at the Colosseum at 10 am. My tour was scheduled for 12:45. I was basically stuck at the Colosseum until my tour time. I wanted to see the Pantheon and a little Basilica behind it, but now did not have enough time. I had to find my own way to meet the bus at the Vatican, which cost me 20euros for a taxi ride. If I had chosen the guided Rome tour, I would have seen the Pantheon and the church. The location was not in the original tour description, this is why I booked the on your own tour instead. It is mostly my fault I did not see everything I wanted to see in this port of call, next time...

More Rome (Civitavecchia) Reviews Rome (Civitavecchia) Port Profile Rome (Civitavecchia) Forum
Florence (Livorno)
Pisa Walking Tour Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
This one was better and exactly as expected. There were only 6 of us on this tour. The guide was helpful and informative. We had plenty of time to explore Pisa the town and the Miracle Square with the leaning tower. An imposing site when you turn the corner and see it for the first time. There were plenty of people doing the holding up the tower pose for an unforgettable picture. The scale of the building is not to be believed from photos or seeing them on TV.

More Florence (Livorno) Reviews Florence (Livorno) Port Profile Florence (Livorno) Forum
Cannes
Monaco & Village of Eze Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
I was not really interested in seeing Monaco, but I did enjoy visiting St. Nicholas Cathedral and paid my respects at Prince Rainier and Grace Kelly's tombs. There was a lot of steep stairs on tour. I had to sit out the visit to Eze, a medieval city at the top of a mountain, only reachable by climbing many steeps. We also stopped at a Perfume factory, which was not on the tour description. I had to pass this one as well due to allergies. I could not even get near the building at this site. Not much free time to grab a bit to eat. Had to eat and run on this tour. For an 8 hour tour we spent a lot of time on the bus driving to one location to another.

More Cannes Reviews Cannes Port Profile Cannes Forum
Marseille
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
I was looking for an excursion that would take me to Chateau D'ff. I could not find any tour company or an excursion with the ship. I was told I would need to take a shuttle to the town center, get a taxi to the new port, locate the ferry to the island. All the while not being able to speak a word of French. Most people I talked to did not even know what or where Chateau D'ff is. A prison made famous in the book "Count of Monte Cristo" by Dumas, which is now a museum. I was disappointed, but still found ways to enjoy the port.

More Marseille Reviews Marseille Port Profile Marseille Forum