Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > 24butterfly's Port Reviews of Naples, Athens (Piraeus), Mykonos, Santorini, Kusadasi, Istanbul

Celebrity Equinox cruise in July 2012
Member Name: 24butterfly
Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Member Review: 24butterfly's Celebrity Equinox Review
Naples
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
We did this one ourselves. Did the Amalfi coast last year. Went to the Pallazo Reale, Capella San Severo, then to Sorbillo for pizza...Teatro San Carlo was not open--would have loved a tour of that! Took 1 day from Rome and took a fast-train to Naples to the Archaeological Museum---well worth it. What a gem! Naples really gets a bad rap--plenty to do and see here. Was looking for the ephiphany after eating the pizza--hate to say it, but we get better p'za here in Los Angeles...This is what they're talking about?? Never felt unsafe in Naples. No trash, no smells. Naples gets a bad rap!

More Naples Reviews Naples Port Profile Naples Forum
Athens (Piraeus)
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Having been there, seen this, done that, we still went in anyway. Took the metro (easy), walked around the CROWDED Plaka, had some Greek food, then took train back and found 2 CC'rs to share cab back to terminal (3 euros). No signs of Greek unrest or turmoil....
More Athens (Piraeus) Reviews Athens (Piraeus) Port Profile Athens (Piraeus) Forum
Mykonos
Port Rating: 0.0 out of 5+
3 other ships in port that day, so we opted to stay on the ship....Everyone coming back said how crowded the town was....We have been to Mykonos before. Ship docked outside of town, so if you did want to go, you had to pay for the shuttle. Too far and too hot to walk, also no taxi's waiting at the dock...

More Mykonos Reviews Mykonos Port Profile Mykonos Forum
Santorini
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Took the cable cars up...When we got to the top, THRONGS of people were up there, and we decided to just go back to the ship. It was also very HOT. Cable car line was loooong, so we found where the donkeys were....Well. This was best e-ticket ride and experience I have ever had! The donkey didn't even know I was on his back! They are well fed, trained, go slow, (and understand Greek as well!) and weren't sweating. Going DOWN 600 steps may not seem a big deal, but you are going STRAIGHT down (small steps), and I have a fear of heights. That, coupled with getting ON the donkey---well, I just kept reminding myself out loud that I was having fun and no, I am not going to die...This donkey ride down is something I will never forget and would do it again in a heartbeat...

More Santorini Reviews Santorini Port Profile Santorini Forum
Kusadasi
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Have been to Ephesus and the Terrace Houses/Sirince beore, so we decided to just explore Kusadasi. Those shopkeepers try and grab hold of you and don't let go! "Where r u from" and u just keep walking away, they come after you! To get 1 jewelry store person off our backs, we saaid we'd be back later. Well, they kept a lookout for us, and nabbed us, as they were the 1st store in the Bazaar. So they ask what kind of jewellery I like, and I say, well, of course, DIAMONDS. So the lady takes out this ring from the window--a 3 carat round, I try it on (no, I am not buying) and now she sicks the big guns on me. Told her that I was looking to upgrade from my stone, etc., asked what the color, clarity, etc. of this stone was --I, VS, and they told me the ring was $18000 !!! Told them I wasn't going to spend that much, and then they said that I could upgrade my original stone and send them the GIA certificate later (yeah, right) Then they asked me how much I wanted to spend--$8000 ? $7000 ? Told them I wasn't really looking to spend anything...To this day, I have my doubts about that stone. Even one of the ship's Officers, whom I had started talking to at lunch one day, said that people got ripped off. Never would I ever buy a stone where I couldn't return it if there was some problem with it.

More Kusadasi Reviews Kusadasi Port Profile Kusadasi Forum
Istanbul
Dolmabahce Palace Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Love Istanbul. Excursion was great. Perfect timing, as it was on the day we were set to leave...That way, they'd wait if the tour was late. How nice to be taken care of. Also did alot on our own: tram, Cistern, saw the Blue Mosque again--Arasta Bazaar, ferry to Kadikoy, lunch in Kadikoy, dinner at a Turkish restaurant overlooking the Bosphorus with a moon that looked like Jupiter. Very memorable night.

More Istanbul Reviews Istanbul Port Profile Istanbul Forum