Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > jerseybeachmom's Port Reviews of St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee

jerseybeachmom's Port Reviews of St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee
Explorer of the Seas cruise in July 2012
Member Name: jerseybeachmom
Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: other
Member Review: jerseybeachmom's Explorer of the Seas Review
St. Maarten
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
Ok- I have to say that all I heard before arriving in St. Maarten was that Orient Beach was one of the top ten beaches in the world- #6 I believe. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I was expecting clean wide beaches, which there is not. There are lots of small hut type bars that rent chairs and umbrellas for a great price, but crowd you into a small stretch of beach that is also taken up with vendors not only coming up to you (which is ok, I'm all for free enterprise), but also running back and forth on the beach in front of you. So if you want to relax and gaze at the water, it is not so easy. Also, the beach was full of dried seaweed. The people were very friendly, but I would try a different beach if I were to go again, I definitely would not put Orient Beach in the top 10 beaches of the world. The shops in St. Phillipsburg closed at 6pm, because we were told it wasn't the safest place to be after dark ( this was from the shop workers themselves), so if your ship is only there from 12n- 8pm, be prepared to wrap things up by 6.
More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum
San Juan
Port Rating: Not Rated
Wish we had more time here- arrived at 7am, all aboard was 12:30. We had breakfast and left the ship by 8 to avoid the mad dash. Shops don't open until 10 or 10:30. We walked to Fort El Morro and did the self guided tour for $3/person. We all enjoyed it and would recommend. We walked in the old part of the city a bit, but was limited by the time in port.

More San Juan Reviews San Juan Port Profile San Juan Forum
Labadee
Port Rating: Not Rated
Labadee is beautiful and has much to offer. The kids zip-lined first thing in the morning and had had a great experience. The beaches are beautiful, and you have your choice of shade or sun. We went to Columbus Cove and have no complaints. The scenery was spectacular. The only negative, and it's a big one is the aggressiveness of the vendors.

More Labadee Reviews Labadee Port Profile Labadee Forum