Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > Normandie84's Port Reviews of Great Stirrup Cay, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Norwegian Pearl cruise in April 2012
Member Name: Normandie84
Cruise Date: April 2012
Member Review: Normandie84's Norwegian Pearl Review
Great Stirrup Cay
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Don't expect too terribly much, at least until they're done renovating. There's construction equipment all over, and the main beach is REALLY crowded. Venture off toward the west if you want some tranquility. If you go far enough you can spy one of the other cruise lines' private island (since there was no ship docked I can't tell you which). Keep an eye out for lizards too; they make this island home, but not around any people. You'll definitely want to reserve a clamshell too, because there is hardly any shade! I gave it a 4 rating because I think it will have potential once the remodeling is done.

Check out http://lincolnmemorandum.blogspot.com for a further review and pictures.

More Great Stirrup Cay Reviews Great Stirrup Cay Port Profile Great Stirrup Cay Forum
Ocho Rios
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
I'll say this: you can freaking have Jamaica. I did not feel safe there (actually the EXACT opposite), the beaches really aren't that great, and the people working the resorts always seem to be giving you the sideways look. Really, I'm not an A-hole American who thinks you owe me something. I'm trying to be nice to you, so please don't give me the stink eye!

The ONLY reason I'm giving Jamaica a 2 is because I got to see Ian Fleming's house & the Goldeneye property. There, the people were nice. I'm glad I saw it, since I'm a big James Bond fan. But I will NEVER return to Jamaica again.

For a full chronicle of the "adventure" of Ocho Rios, check out http://lincolnmemorandum.blogspot.com. It's my personal travel blog (don't worry there are no ads!)

More Ocho Rios Reviews Ocho Rios Port Profile Ocho Rios Forum
Grand Cayman
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Had a blast here. Everyone we interacted with was very nice and courteous. You didn't feel like anyone was trying to hustle you. We didn't take a shore excursion through the ship, but we did take a tour with Nativeways (http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/). If you want to snorkel and do Stingray City, do it through them. It's cheaper and probably better. They don't rush you, you get to feed the stingrays, and they take you to a good snorkel spot where there aren't a bunch of other tourists. It cost $120 for my fiancee and I for 3 stops, and still enough time for shopping in Geo-Town. Through Norwegian it was $120 PER PERSON just for Stingray City.

The water in Grand Cayman is AMAZING. Clear blue and warm. What a gorgeous locale. We will be coming back here without a cruise so we can really get to know it!

Check out my blog for a full review and pictures: http://lincolnmemorandum.blogspot.com

More Grand Cayman Reviews Grand Cayman Port Profile Grand Cayman Forum
Cozumel
Beach Break Rating: 1.0 out of 5+
We had about twenty minutes on the beach at a resort, since it was in tandem with the Mayan Ruins tour. Definitely DO NOT take this option.

Mayan Ruins Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
Norwegian needs to ditch the company that they contract with for the Tulum tour. Before you even get to Tulum they stop for a "bathroom" break at what reminds me of an Indian mall tourist trap along Interstate 40. It's this big building full of overpriced touristy junk, AND you don't even have enough time to buy anything because of the huge line. Second, the Tulum tour itself is very rushed. Our guide was very knowledgeable about Mayan history and culture, but I feel like a lot was left out. Tulum is also very crowded, which I feel spoils the magnificence of the ruins themselves. If you've never seen a Mayan ruin before, check it out, but if you've seen some of the other, bigger sites, skip this one. The tour group rushes you through it; you barely have time to really marvel at what is before you.

For a full review, see my blog at http://lincolnmemorandum.blogspot.com

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum