Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > cathpiano's Port Reviews of Copenhagen, Oslo, Aarhus, Rostock (Warnemunde), Tallinn, St. Petersburg

Emerald Princess cruise in June 2012
Member Name: cathpiano
Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Member Review: cathpiano's Emerald Princess Review
Copenhagen
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Copenhagen: Before we set sail we spent 3 days at the Radisson Blu Royal in Copenhagen as part of the AAA tour we had booked. Very convenient to the sights and the train station. While there we had a couple of organized tours to Kronborg and Fredericksborg castles (well worth the journey) and in-town to Tivoli Gardens for dinner. We also used the Hop-On Hop-Off bus, which was nice for my mom to see the city without a lot of walking. I did quite a bit of exploring on my own two feet. If you have energy and two good legs, you don't need any organized tour. The city is easy to get around. Beware of the cyclists, however. Bikes are serious business and have their own lanes, walkers, beware!

More Copenhagen Reviews Copenhagen Port Profile Copenhagen Forum
Oslo
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Oslo: you can get a 24 hour bus/ferry pass at the 7-Eleven very near the city hall, to the right of it as you approach. The machines at the stations only take cash and the machine right outside the cruise terminal...well, I never saw it. The line at the Tourist Information both at the terminal and in town is LONG and they DON'T SELL bus passes! These are more for organizing tours and bookings. The sculpture Vigeland is well worth the visit, but again, you don't need to book a tour to enjoy it. Take Tram 12, from the stop to the left of the City Hall down by the quay. It's also very easy to catch the ferry there to Bygdoy to the Fram museum and the old village. The old village was lovely, but many buildings were closed.
More Oslo Reviews Oslo Port Profile Oslo Forum
Aarhus
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Aarhus: the sleeper destination. Didn't expect much but enjoyed it very much. We visited the old town Den Gamle By and I went on to the modern art museum (with the rainbow walking circle on top) on our own. No need to book tours for these. They're a 10 minute walk from the ship, and you have much more autonomy on your own.

More Aarhus Reviews Aarhus Port Profile Aarhus Forum
Rostock (Warnemunde)
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Warnemunde: We debated about Berlin and decided to stay close. I booked a Friends of Dave tour. He is an American who's lived 13 years in Germany. He was very highly recommended on Trip Advisor. We found him to be knowledgeable, friendly, fun, and worth the booking. This was an independent booking I made on-line. A family situation necessitated his cutting the tour short from a full day to half day but he made a very fair cash refund to us and in fact, I was glad I had the other half day to walk the beach, do a little shopping (there's a Noa Noa store in the ground floor of the big hotel on the beach) and climb the lighthouse.

More Rostock (Warnemunde) Reviews Rostock (Warnemunde) Port Profile Rostock (Warnemunde) Forum
Tallinn
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Tallinn: Old, old, old. A mix of modern people in an ancient habitat. We did an EP shore excursion. Quite reasonable for the 3 hours and comparable to on-shore independent tours I checked. Don't scorn the Song Festival Grounds. This site is so fundamentally important to Estonians. They say they "sang their way to independence" from the Soviets. Both the Upper Town and Lower Town have their merits. We toured the upper and I explored the lower with a friend.

More Tallinn Reviews Tallinn Port Profile Tallinn Forum
St. Petersburg
Amber Room Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
It's all amber, and if you love amber it's wonderful, but it's just a room.

Catherine Palace Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Aside from the 2 hour traffic jam getting there, we had the palace to ourselves, about 50 in our group. We were greeted by a band, there was a harpsichordist, a flutist, and a string quartet playing. We had champagne and were visited by Queen Catherine herself. There was dancing, a carriage, a tour of the amber room (I think it's there....I know we saw it), a tour of the carriage house, and then we had dinner walking distance away. More than made up for the frustrations of Peterhof earlier in the day.

Hermitage Museum Rating: Not Rated
Very crowded, similar to Peterhof in many ways, with some beautiful art.

Peterhof Palace Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
St. Petersburg: It's all about the bathrooms, and traffic. Peterhof, St. Catherine's, the Hermitage are somewhat similar, all full of gilded treasures. But logistics, getting there, were awful. Both Peterhof and St. Catherine's are about 20 km from the city center. We were in a 2 hour traffic jam to both and I swear the guide never drew breath the whole time, never stopped telling us things. Logistically, the visit to Peterhof was very frustrating. Our coach left an hour late, and spent an hour in traffic. Once at Peterhof, there's the obligatory potty stop. There are 5 ladies stalls. There were 75 women in line. And our guide told us that he could not let us use pay potties, even though they were availble, no lines, and we were willing. Supposedly he would be reprimanded, since our fee "paid" for the potties. But we wasted 2 hours getting there, and 45 minutes waiting for 7 of our group to use the ladies' room, and of course, the group could never separate. So we never did see the gardens or walk to the sea as promised. The ship did make a concession and refunded 15% of the price back to us (I don't know if it did to others, but I made a friendly but pointed complaint about the mechanics of the trip to the shore excursion desk). I'm told that if you book with an independent group, and your group is small, you can cut to the front of the line, and probably have a little more flexibility. We used EP but if I were to do it again, I'd try something else. It's difficult to appreciate the sights when you're so frustrated by the iron control the Russians still exert over their guests. Check your other options.

St. Isaac's Cathedral Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
A lot like the mosques in Istanbul...huge, open, beautiful

More St. Petersburg Reviews St. Petersburg Port Profile St. Petersburg Forum
Helsinki
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Helsinki: a breath of fresh air after Russia, literally. I chose a bike tour with EP and it was lovely. Other people highly recommended the farm visit and the home visit.

More Helsinki Reviews Helsinki Port Profile Helsinki Forum
Stockholm
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Stockholm: had barely 6 hours there. I took the ferry (10 Euros for all day) for a quick visit to the Vasa and to the old town on my own. The ferry makes three stops: the ship, the Vasa and the Royal Palace, until 10:30 a.m. After that it makes the complete round of 11 stops. So if you want to get places quickly, try to hop on that ferry early.

More Stockholm Reviews Stockholm Port Profile Stockholm Forum