Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > chicagopeeps's Port Reviews of Portland (Maine), Saint John (New Brunswick), Halifax

Carnival Glory cruise in June 2012
Member Name: chicagopeeps
Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Boston
Destination: Canada & New England
Member Review: chicagopeeps's Carnival Glory Review
Portland (Maine)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Be sure to check out the Portland Head Lighthouse! It is beautiful and you can do some mild hiking there and great picture taking. We took a cab out there and he stayed out there while we looked around. It was about $40 dollars but if you want to hike you could probably cut a deal or ask the cab to come back.

If you want to see some of the islands near Portland you can take a ferry for $14 or so around all of them with narration. We did not do this but we wanted to.

The whole reason I gave this port a 4 was because it is pricey for everything. Even the Lobsters that I heard were cheap here were inflated because the ship was in town. Plan on around $100 per person for this port if you want to eat and see a few things on your own and need a cab and such.

More Portland (Maine) Reviews Portland (Maine) Port Profile Portland (Maine) Forum
Saint John (New Brunswick)
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
Purchase a ship excursion! I can not say this enough. You can wander around town but to find out about the history of the town you should do the hop on hop off bus.

The Hopewell Rocks look like they would be beautiful but they are 2 hours away and if your ship gets in late you might miss the low tide and then you paid the money for nothing. I personally would stay in the city and maybe do a whale watching tour or the hop on hop off bus.

Plan for at least $100 a person if doing stuff on your own I think we spent $60 because we had lunch and walked around but if you like to buy stuff or get tours plan for the $100 per person.

I gave this port a 2 because if you just get off the boat there is not much to do but shop. I guess we could have walked around more but it was spitting rain and windy the whole time.

More Saint John (New Brunswick) Reviews Saint John (New Brunswick) Port Profile Saint John (New Brunswick) Forum
Halifax
City Tour Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
$50 per person and you did go around the city but when we came home my husband said we saw that there was a free bus in the city of Halifax we could have taken. Not sure of the name but I would have done that to save money.

You have to try a pub when you are in Halifax and we went to the Man's Mustache I think and it was great. A PB burger yummo, fries amazing, and beer cheese soup delish. Great micro brews as well.

The 3 is for the fact that i would have loved to have known about the free bus because I like to save money and would have liked to have heard more about the history from the tour guides.

Plan on $100 per person for this port as well.

BTW talking with one of the tour guides if you are doing a leaf peeping tour do not plan to go till the very end of October because the colors do not change till then because the water keeps them warmer and hence the leaves change later.

More Halifax Reviews Halifax Port Profile Halifax Forum