Member Reviews

Destination: Bermuda
Member Review: jillapallooza's Explorer of the Seas Review
King's Wharf
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
I didn't do any shore excursions but had a plan of how to explore Bermuda. Upon arrival, we purchased a one day $12 transportation pass at the booth outside the ship. This allows you to ride the ferries and busses unlimited. We took the ferry to St Georges (45 minutes- check the times online as this particular ferry runs every hour or so) which was the far point of Bermuda. We walked around and met a gentleman named Leroy Poker who has the horse carriage and chatted with him for a bit. He told us where to go in the area. We walked around for a few hours going up to the unfinished church and to Fort St Catherine and the museum ($7). The Fort was amazing and I highly suggest it if you are like me and enjoy seeing the sites and getting the historical backgroun of the places you visit. There's also an historic beach next door. We also visited Tobacco Bay's beach. After some time, we took a bus (the 3) to Devil's Hole. My friend was told by her friend that this was a great place to see turtles, etc. So we took the bus there only to find out from a nasty (the ONLY nasty person in Bermuda in my opinion) taxi driver that it was closed. Apparently it's an aquarium type place, however someone told us after the fact that there was a hole there and we just had to walk a little to see it. We got back on the bus and went to Hamilton where we walked around and had lunch in a nice place called The Pickled Onion. Our Canadian waitress was great and very friendly. We then took another bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach. We walked down and back up, though you can take a shuttle for $1 to avoid the uphill walk. We swam a little and took photos and then took the bus back to where our ship was docked.

The second day, we woke up and walked around the Royal Navy Dockyard. The weather was cloudy and there were some heavy spot showers, but they passed quickly. We went to the National Museum of Bermuda which was outstanding ($10). I cannot say enough about this place. It was simply beautiful. I went back and forth with doing one of the dolphin experiences at Dolphin Quest. But after reading reviews of how small the pools were that the dolphins were held in, I decided against it. I fully support aquariums and interaction programs that truly benefit wildlife, so I couldn't partake in this. I made the right decision. If you visit the museum, you can actually walk over and see the dolphins at play. This was heartbreaking for me since there were four dolphins held in a pool the size of any recreational pool. While it was fun to see them swimming, it really made me sad. But, again, that's just me.

More King's Wharf Reviews King's Wharf Port Profile King's Wharf Forum