Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > brdrawn's Port Reviews of Freeport, Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau

brdrawn's Port Reviews of Freeport, Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau
Norwegian Sky cruise in June 2012
Member Name: brdrawn
Cruise Date: June 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Member Review: brdrawn's Norwegian Sky Review
Freeport
City Tour Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
Freeport is not a very touristy place to visit. Overall the area is very industrial and has little in historical places to visit. The city tour was a bus ride that educated us on the current state of the island and how everyday life is. The shopping took you to a local straw market as well as a larger commercial shopping area "cruise village". We stopped at each location for around 30-45 minutes and then went back to the bus. The final portion of the excursion was the beach break ... the way the description reads, you would think the beach time is minimal or optional but its not and there is only 1 small beach food shake and no shaded area so come prepared to spend about 1 hour at the beach. It is a local beach, not a tourist area so there isn't anything within walking distance either.

More Freeport Reviews Freeport Port Profile Freeport Forum
Great Stirrup Cay
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Overall the private island was allot of fun. We went on a jet ski tour around the island which was allot of fun. I had never jet skied before but the instruction and guides were enough for us to be able to do this successfully. I would recommend bringing goggles to keep the salt water out of your eyes. The beach area is nice with plenty of chairs. There is not allot of shaded area's and the island is currently undergoing lots of construction. Once they have cabana's and the other construction completed I think it will be a much better stop. The Island BBQ is great but watch out for the birds!
More Great Stirrup Cay Reviews Great Stirrup Cay Port Profile Great Stirrup Cay Forum
Nassau
Snorkeling Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
IF I had it to do over again, I would have snorkeled in Freeport and spent my time in Nassau touring the forts or historic areas. My husband and I had never snorkeled before, but the guides provided excellent instruction and even helped attract the fish. On the way back from the snorkel area, the guides pointed out the famous houses along the river. The city was pleasant to walk around and overall felt safe. There are TON's of independent tour operators waiting around the cruise depot area that will offer all kinds of things. We did not choose to do any of these, but many travelers did. There were 5 boats total in port the day we were there so lots of people to compete with. Overall this was my favorite stop.

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum