Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > AZmike480's Port Reviews of Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

AZmike480's Port Reviews of Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Carnival Magic cruise in May 2012
Member Name: AZmike480
Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Galveston
Member Review: AZmike480's Carnival Magic Review
Montego Bay
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
We arrived Wednesday morning in Montego Bay had some breakfast and got of the ship with no planned shore excursion. We decided to take a bus into the hip strip and hang out at Margaritaville. We picked up a bus into town which was cost about 15 dollars for 4 of us. From the ship Jamaica looks beautiful but from a bus its anything but beautiful. We made it to the hip strip which is supposed to be a block of bars, restaurants and shopping. Once we arrived we quickly realized all the stores have the same Jamaican crap for sale and the store owners are a bit pushy oh and everyone seems to be selling marijuana there. We arrived at the first bar and where the only ones there, we had a couple red strip lights and took off. We walked down Margaritaville which was packed full of people so we hung out there and a bucket of beer and ate some food. The waiter was excellent and the food was good. We meant a bunch of people from the ship and a few people from the royal Caribbean ship. We caught a cab from there and went back to the ship about 3 hours before the departure time.

My personal opinion of Jamaica is poor, Its exactly like Mexico very poor run down and dirty. I don't plan on returning to Jamaica ever again unless its in another port.

More Montego Bay Reviews Montego Bay Port Profile Montego Bay Forum
Grand Cayman
Island Tour Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We arrived in Grand Cayman on Thursday and its looked amazing form the ship. The cruise ship was docked off the coast and tender boats picked you up and took you to port. We decided to take a tour of the island and found a tour guide for 10 dollars a person. The tour guide took us to several stops and shared information about the island in between stops. Our scheduled stops included 7 mile beach, hell, Tortuga rum cake factory, and the dolphin and turtle show. All of them where great stops and being able to see some of the island was excellent. Our tour wrapped up about 12 o clock. So we went into all the different shopping centers, finished shopping and went back to the boat a couple hours early.

My personal opinion of Grand Cayman is a good one, I thought the country was beautiful, clean, and the local people are very friendly. The island primarily speaks English and the pricing is in US dollars. Grand Cayman reminds me of Maui and I would love to go back and spend a few days there.

More Grand Cayman Reviews Grand Cayman Port Profile Grand Cayman Forum
Cozumel
Rating: 5+ out of 5+
We arrived in Cozumel on Friday morning and had a scheduled shore excursion on this stop. We booked a day at Nachi cocom private beach. Once we pushed through the huge duty free shopping area which is kind of annoying, we made it out to the taxi area. The cabs are organized and ran extremely efficiently. The 4 of us got in a cab and where taken about 10 miles down to the resort. The cab cost 15 dollars and it wasn't the best cab I've been in but was impressed for a Mexican cab. Once we arrived at nachi cocom we had our picture taken and paid the fees for the resort. The fee's where 55 dollars a person which seems like a lot of money but its all you can drink and eat, and they have private beach, pool, cabanas and a waiter all day. The resort was awesome the have a huge pool and spa with swim up bar and the beach is amazing. The water is clear and the sand is clean. There was about 20 other people there and we drank and ate all day. I notified the waiter when I wanted to leave and he made sure the was a cab waiting for me. We spent the whole day there and got our moneys worth in beer, cocktails and food and left around 3 o clock so we could shop in the city. Here's a tip if you want to purchase the photo they took wait till your leaving. They come to the cab and ask you if want it for half the price. Our cab driver dropped us off in the shopping area for the same price as the ride to the resort. In town I was on a mission in Mexico to find a Pancho for my winter camping trips so I hooked up with a local guy and he took me to a lady that hand makes them. This Pancho is top quality and made with super heavy material and she wanted 40 dollars for it, I gave her 25 and closed the deal. We picked up a few other items and went back on the ship.

My personal opinion of Mexico is a good one, I loved it and would love to spend more time there and see the rest of the island. I look forward to going back.

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum