Member Reviews

Embarkation: Galveston
Member Review: SOTX55's Carnival Triumph Review
Progreso
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
The first port was Progresso. We wen't nowhere there. The port and anything beyond the small strip of shops is an expensive taxi ride away. If you want to go outside of this area, I recommend getting some sort of shore excursion. The cost of a taxi for us was going to be $12 per person each way, which was uncalled for to me, so we passed and just did some shopping there. The peso to dollar conversion there was better than the real exchange rate, I brought 6000 pesos and paid in pesos because of this. I came home with only 500 pesos, so I bought alot of stuff. The pharmacia was high though compared to other parts of Mexico i've been to. But if you don't go into town at any port, it is what it is.. Getting back on the ship was easy and they're only looking for any alcohol you purchase on shore.

More Progreso Reviews Progreso Port Profile Progreso Forum
Cozumel
Dolphin Swim & Encounter Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
For Cozumel, we did the royal dolphin adventure and purchased this directly. Carnival has a deal with them, so if you do this on your own ( I did to get the time slot I wanted and to save 20% by booking early) you just need to not say you're coming in on a cruise. The van to get us there was $12 and we did not deal with the masses on the shore excursion. We also left when we wanted to and for about 1 hour had the entire beach to ourselves. The dolphin swim itself was a once in a lifetime deal. Everyone loved it! Spend the extra and get the full royal swim, trust me it was worth it. The groups are smaller, and you really do get a true interactive experience. The foot push was a rush! 2 dolphins pushing the bottom of your feet fast enough to get you 3/4 out of the water! The photo CD you can buy from them is costly! for us it was $199, I asked if that was pesos, because I couldn't believe a 45 minute photo shoot would cost that much. Nope, that was $ USD, so I passed. You ARE allowed to bring a waterproof camera with you. Go on Amazon before the trip, and get yourself a dicapac for your camera. I put my Sony HD palmcorder in one, and recorded the whole thing. When it's not in your hand, prop it up on the dock to capture the action. Worked perfectly!

If you only want to shop in Cozumel, it's within walking distance from the port to get to the real local shops. Get out of that port strip mall if you want real bargains.

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum