Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > bonesdad's Port Reviews of Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Great Stirrup Cay

bonesdad's Port Reviews of Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Great Stirrup Cay
Norwegian Sun cruise in April 2012
Member Name: bonesdad
Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: other
Member Review: bonesdad's Norwegian Sun Review
Nassau
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Did not book an excursion here, went for "Port Shopping" experience, but quickly realized that was a dud, for us. Hightailed it back toward ship and booked a ride on a private taxi van with local driver, "Sterling". 8 or 10 other passengers on ride with us and we all got along great. Sterling took us where we asked to go, or what we asked to see. Turns out his sister worked at a local rum cake shop, so we went there and sampled the goods and bought several for ourselves. Visit the Ole Nassau Rum Cake store and pick some up, very fresh and delicious! We visited a local bar where they served drinks of course, but also fresh conch fritters, which were delicious. We all shared them on the ride to our next destination, Atlantis. We just walked around there to see the over opulent luxury, which was cool, then headed back to the docks. About a 2-2.5 hour tour of the island.

Nassau was not my favorite of the ports, but it was definitely a great place to visit and I will return!

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum
St. Thomas
St. John Snorkel/Sail Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Champagne Cat and snorkel on St. John's Honeymoon Beach was amazing. Captain and crew were fun, funny and very helpful. Plenty of beautiful fish to see on our first snorkeling experience. Beautiful day, beautiful islands and everything looked even better after 6 rum punches! We had a blast and cannot wait to go back to USVI to see more!

More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum
San Juan
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Amazing City! We only visited Old San Juan and found it much to our liking. Visited the forts, which were very cool. and spent a lot of time wandering the streets just looking, shopping and talking to natives. Were directed to a great little restaurant where we had excellent food and friendly service. Vistied the old San Juan Cathedral which I found quite beautiful, even though I am no where near religious.

All in all, I'd say this was my favorite port this trip, with USVI a close second. So much more to see in future cruises or a great destination for a trip of its own.

More San Juan Reviews San Juan Port Profile San Juan Forum
Great Stirrup Cay
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We had rough seas when we got there, so our parasailing excursion was cancelled, much to our disappointment. We got snorkeling gear instead, but my wife couldn't enjoy as she found the water to murky near the shore. I ventured out further and found much clearer water and some cool fish, but no where near the variety of fish at USVI.

Great Stirrup Cay is currently undergoing massive overhaul, and though I'm sure it will be amazing when completed, it isn't much to look at now. We dropped by a drink cabana to get a couple of sodas, and I pulled out several roofing nails from the sand right in front of the cabana.

weather was OK, warm but not very sunny and a little breezy, but very tolerable.

Food was good, as usual and a welcome break from sea and surf. We took a nice walk to rocky shoals and saw some cool sights.

Once the refurb is done, I'll be happy to return to Great Stirrup Cay, but not before.

More Great Stirrup Cay Reviews Great Stirrup Cay Port Profile Great Stirrup Cay Forum