Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > NCcruiser30's Port Reviews of Genoa, Naples, Palermo, Tunis (La Goulette), Barcelona, Marseille

MSC Fantasia cruise in March 2012
Member Name: NCcruiser30
Cruise Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Genoa
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Member Review: NCcruiser30's MSC Fantasia Review
Genoa
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
I love Genoa! It is so pretty and romantic with the winding streets and the views of the city on the hill and by the sea. Wow. We enjoyed just walking around. I think walking around would be better than excursion anyway (we didn't have the choice since it was our departure port). It looked on the map like we were not in the section of town with the most tourist attractions, but our section of town was amazing. If you are there, please try the ice cream at the gelateria. It is such a great experience - best ice cream I have had. They also have things like the opera, acquarium, sort of world class things like that. We just got back from NY though and were simply more interested in walking around.

More Genoa Reviews Genoa Port Profile Genoa Forum
Naples
Pompeii Walking Tour Rating: 5+ out of 5+
This was a great tour! I felt like I was travelling in time getting to see this city that was destroyed in 79AD. They were quite an advanced civilization and it was interesting to see how they did things. I pretty much think you could go to one port several times and still have a good time. Another option that sounded cool was hiking Mt. Vesuvius and peeking into it to see the lava.

More Naples Reviews Naples Port Profile Naples Forum
Palermo
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We weren't crazy about Palermo. We weren't that interested in any of the tours offered here, so we were just going to walk around the city. We departed the ship after lunch. There were many horses and carriages lined up when we got off. The first guy offered us a 3 hour tour for I think maybe $180 or something. We told him no; we walked on. The other drivers were trying to get us to ride, offering us different prices. We told everyone no and were marching on. We get to the last two, and they offered us $30 for 1 hour. We really didn't have any plans to do this, but we felt we couldn't say no at that price. We were glad that we did b/c we got to see more of the city this way and we enjoyed the ride. The horse is very brave weaving in and out of traffic like it does. After the ride, we walked around the city some and then we returned to the ship.

More Palermo Reviews Palermo Port Profile Palermo Forum
Tunis (La Goulette)
Souks Walking Tour Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Our tour guide on this was wonderful. He was the best tour guide we had on the whole trip. I gave this a 4 rating though b/c we had buyers remorse b/c we think we chose the wrong excursion. Our trip stayed in the medina the whole time. We later thought we should have chosen the one that was the full day trip that did everything: medina, museum, Carthage, Sidi Bou Said. I feel like I missed something by not doing that. If you're in Tunisia, you should just do it all. I think we were trying to be thrifty. We had a nice time in the medina. We did not feel threatened by pickpockets or anything. I bought some nice souvenirs and was pleased with them. I might have bought more if I didn't hate the haggling system. (Just tell me a price please). So, it was a nice trip, it just could have been better. At the ship, you could ride a camel for $5.

More Tunis (La Goulette) Reviews Tunis (La Goulette) Port Profile Tunis (La Goulette) Forum
Barcelona
Gaudi Walking Tour Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Gaudi is awesome. We drove by casa battlo but got out at la basilica de la sagrada familia and parque guell. La sagrada familia was amazing. I have never seen anything like it. There was something interesting everywhere you look on the outside of that thing, you can take many pictures and be interested later in each one you see and know that you missed more things just by not taking more pictures. Be sure to get close ups of the scenes on the outside. You will find them interesting later when you have more time to study them. Parque guell was very beautiful. We liked it there. Finally, those weirdies in Barcelona had been having some riots the day before we arrived. It was sad seeing so many businesses burned out or with shattered glass. What is your problem people?!

More Barcelona Reviews Barcelona Port Profile Barcelona Forum
Marseille
City Tour Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
This whole town is like under renovation b/c they are going to be called an ideal city next year or something. We took the tour not b/c we were interested in seeing the city but b/c we heard you could not walk anywhere from the port and we wanted something to do. The cruise line will offer you a shuttle the day of the excursion. Seeing as how all the points of interest are pretty much closed on the city tour, I would recommend just taking the shuttle and walk around the streets. The one place we did stop was this church on a hill. I was overwhelmed by the boat motif inside. There were boats everywhere in the church, hanging from the ceiling, all over the wall. It was quite unusual.

More Marseille Reviews Marseille Port Profile Marseille Forum