Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > swelch's Port Reviews of St. Croix, St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, San Juan

Adventure of the Seas cruise in March 2012
Member Name: swelch
Cruise Date: March 2012
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Member Review: swelch's Adventure of the Seas Review
St. Croix
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
We booked the Gecko ATV tour and it was A BLAST!! Talk about your money's worth! Now, I am a chicken, I admit, so I thought it was nerve-wracking and scary! But out of nine of us, ranging in age from 25 to 71, I was the only Nervous Nelly. Super impressed by this company! It was really easy to find, and a bar was very conveniently located right next to it, which helped with my nerves. This was my first time not booking with the ship, and I was nervous. No need to worry though. I highly recommend this tour, but book early as there are only 5 ATVs per outing, and there are three outings per day! At the end of the tour everyone went back to the ship in the van, but me and my husband and our daughters stayed right there where the tour ends at the beach, Rainbow Beach, and the bartender there was FABULOUS!!!!!!! And really good music too. And the beach was beautiful, warm and calm. After that, we went to a place our taxi driver recommended and tried some delicious local food of salt fish and pork knuckles and beans and rice. OMG!! So good!

More St. Croix Reviews St. Croix Port Profile St. Croix Forum
St. Martin
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
My favorite island. This is our second time to St. Martin, and I loved Orient Beach so much the last time, we just went straight there again!! Man, would I LOVE to see Orient Beach at night!! Someday we will come here for a week.... or more! We took the ship's excursion, and it was a really good value. I think it was 54 dollars and included one cocktail or drink of your choice and a lunch of either ribs, grilled fish or chicken and a lounger. You could rent an umbrella for three bucks. But since the ship leaves at 5:00, we were there at approx 10:00 and left approx 3:00, so many establishments were still closed. Afterwards, the tour operator gave us the option to go back to the ship via the bus or stop off in St. Maarten for some shopping. So we shopped a little and enjoyed the city before heading back to the ship. Wanted to go to Maho Beach to see the planes, but we were told it was too late to see the planes land. Oh, well. Next time!!
More St. Martin Reviews St. Martin Port Profile St. Martin Forum
Antigua
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
I hope I have the right port of call. I meant St. John's Antigua. Anyways, this port of call is all about the beaches, from what I read. We took a ship's excursion for ziplining. As I mentioned earlier, I am a total chicken, and I was scared to death! Almost chickened out last minute, but I closed my eyes and set off. And it was FUN!! It is quite exhilarating and safe. My biggest fear was not being coordinated enough to land and hurting my knees or something. But I had no problem at all. I will say, however, that the steps from some of the platforms to the next could be a bit taxing for very mature person. And I definitely would NOT recommend the obstacle course if you are not fit and you do not have very good upper-body strength. I met two 50-something year old women, and they were dying. They said they should not have done the obstacle course part of the excursion. We did not do that part, thank goodness! I have wimpy arms! Our daughters went to Sandals after being pointed in that direction by a waitress in Hemmingway's Restaurant, and their pictures of the beach and facilities were gorgeous!! That is probably what I will do next time in this port. Or Valley Church Beach I heard fabulous reviews on as well, and I think it's free!

More Antigua Reviews Antigua Port Profile Antigua Forum
St. Lucia
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
This island is volcanic and absolutely stunning! But from what I heard, the port itself is rather hard to navigate, so I really recommend booking an excursion so you don't miss out on this island's incredible natural beauty! This was my second time not booking an excursion through the ship. The first time was in St. Croix with Gecko ATV tours. I booked Spencer Ambrose tours. He responded to my many nervous emails and put my mind at ease. We booked the Jalousy Beach excursion. (spelling!) Actually, we booked the Jalousy Beach Excursion with Soufriere highlights, but after getting on the boat, it seemed that our group of four were the only ones who wanted that tour, so I just opted for the Beach excursion tour as well. Spencer's staff was very easy to find, and I felt I was in good hands, as Spencer was our boat operator! There was quite a bit of confusion at the beginning of the tour as some people on the Carnival ship were late (some people said they had a different start time, but I don't know) and Spencer tried very, very hard to pick them up, but one of them fell and was injured pretty badly. Spencer still waited while they assessed their injuries, and finally left. This put us behind schedule, I assume, because Spencer sped along to Jalousy Beach telling us he would give us the tour on the way back. Jalousy Beach is absolutely stunningly beautiful! I wouldn't miss it for anything! And the snorkeling was really good, IMO. The rum punch was scrumptious and S-T-R-O-N-G! And let me tell you about the lunch! SO GOOD! Especially the chicken. I really enjoyed this excursion very much. The only irritation was at the end of the tour, things got quite hectic and we were told to get on a catamaran. I told the representative that we were waiting for Spencer because he was going to give us the tour by boat. He said Spencer told him to get us on the Catamaran. We still had all the rum punch you wanted and other drinks, and the Catamaran was lovely and not too crowded, but I was not very happy about it. And when Spencer's boat sped by us, giving that group the tour, I asked for another rum punch. I just think it would have been better business to make certain that the group who got the late start was on that last boat with Spencer and getting that promised tour. Even if it was a speedy tour due to time. But to be fair, do I feel I got my money's worth? Absolutely!! And there was no ship excursion that went to Jalousy Beach, so I would do it again for certain. I would just be more firm next time. And when I go to St Lucia, I am definitely booking the Cosol tour as well! I later heard great reviews and he seemed so friendly!

More St. Lucia Reviews St. Lucia Port Profile St. Lucia Forum
Barbados
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
We took the ship's excursion: Beach and Bar Hop. It was FABULOUS!! Fun, fun, fun! Everyone in our group wants to go back to Barbados for vacation for sure!! I felt this excursion was also a decent value. Each establishment we were given tickets for two drinks. There were three establishments!! Yikes! Party bus for sure! Lorin was great!

More Barbados Reviews Barbados Port Profile Barbados Forum
San Juan
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
We actually got into San Juan about 3:00 after a red-eye flight out of SFO on Friday. Our ship left San Juan on Sunday. We absolutely LOVE SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO!!! Having been to Seville, Spain, I feel San Juan is like a mini-trip to Spain. If you're a foodie, you're gonna love it here! We stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan. It was expensive, but a relatively good buy in comparison to other hotels' prices here, from my research. And the location is fabulous. But it IS expensive! Here is the review I wrote for Tripadvisor for the FLAVORS OF SAN JUAN TOUR we took on Friday night. It was excellent!!

Wow, wow, wow!!!!! That absolutely sums it up!! We had a party of 14. Every single last one of us were so overwhelmed with the quality of this tour! The food was absolutely phenomenal and our tour guide/director Paulina was energetic, informative, and as charming as is humanly possible!

We had a red-eye flight out of SFO and had very little to no sleep, but I decided to book this tour anyway, figuring we would just go straight to bed and waste our first night in San Juan if we didn't. Plus, it was a great way to learn about the City and how to navigate it so we could use that knowledge the next full day we had to explore. I am so very, very glad I did exactly that. Every one of us used the knowledge gained from the tour on Friday night to get the most out of San Juan for our precious Saturday in this fabulous city! We all did separate things but felt confident about what we were doing, and all of us re-visited at least one if not more of the establishments that Paulina introduced us to. Our group ranged in age from 25 to 71 years old.

We started at an out-of-the-way place that there is no way in heck I ever would have found on my own. It was very hidden, classy and absolutely delicious!! I am not going to give details unless you specifically ask me because I think it would kind of spoil the fun a bit.

Next we had the best mojito I have ever had in my life paired with a very satisfying and delicious food pairing. Again, I will not divulge details on the food unless you specifically ask me, but I don't think you should spoil the surprise. Next we walked to another quaint out-of-the-way establishment to try Puerto Rican specialties such as mofongo and beans and rice. Now I have had mofongo before, but I thought it was rather bland. Well, let me tell you, there was NOTHING bland about this mofongo!!!!!! And the beans and rice were spectacular!!! YUMMMMMMM!!! Last but certainly not least we walked to a cozy little bar/tavern type place and had dessert with coffee. Again, delicious!! En route we were treated to a walking tour explaining the City's history and the buildings were were walking past. It was absolutely magical!!! And, remember, we were completely exhausted from our flight, and sometimes it was pouring down rain. Yet every single one of us were completely thrilled! We even had some extremely picky eaters in our group, and they were very satisfied with this tour as well!!

I know I am using way too many exclamation points in this review, but I guarantee you, if you take this tour you will find yourself doing the same! Guaranteed!!!!! Bless you, Paulina!!!!

More San Juan Reviews San Juan Port Profile San Juan Forum