Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > colewade's Port Reviews of Half Moon Cay, Curacao, Bonaire

colewade's Port Reviews of Half Moon Cay, Curacao, Bonaire
Westerdam cruise in March 2012
Member Name: colewade
Cruise Date: March 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Member Review: colewade's Westerdam Review
Half Moon Cay
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
What a lovely slice of paradise. No crime. Perfect beach. Very good entertainment by Stephanie from the ship. Very nice BBQ. Great selection of shore excursions that offer good value in spite of there being no private offerings.

We really did enjoy swimming with the horses. The handlers were a little rough at times. I could have done without the one who swatted my horse on the rear with a stick while in the water causing him to run out from under me. He then asked me if I could get back on by myself. Really? Have you ever tried to mount a horse without stirrups while standing neck deep in water? LOL I could have done without the "helping the fat man" comment to one of his peers. I am really not that fat and I have ridden horses before.

More Half Moon Cay Reviews Half Moon Cay Port Profile Half Moon Cay Forum
Curacao
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Willemsted Curacao is certainly one of the most beautiful ports in the Caribbean. I especially enjoyed the fact that the captain opened up the bow for passengers as we sailed in to this beautiful port. It is touted as a shopping port, though I found no bargains in this port. The mall complex near associated with the Rif Fort area is a particularly nice new addition since my last visit. If I ever visit again I would take an excursion that includes Boca Tabla. We arrived fairly late in the day after a wonderful full speed sprint across the Caribbean.
More Curacao Reviews Curacao Port Profile Curacao Forum
Bonaire
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
I absolutely loved Bonaire. Kralendijk is much smaller than Willemstad, but we were greeted by a chorus of bird songs like I have never heard before in the Caribbean upon our arrival just before daylight. The effect was complete with competing roosters on opposite ends of the small town. There are no Diamonds Internationals or Little Switzerlands here. This is the pure and simple unspoiled Caribbean as it was before the mega corporations turned so many ports into shopping malls. We found the people to be genuinely warm and friendly on the two excellent private shore excursions we took. It is a diver and snorkelers paradise and you do either by boat or from the land. This stop was an anomaly from usual southern route which includes Aruba. I would trade Bonaire for Aruba any day of the week.

I will echo the past compliments of the Woodwind Snorkeling Tour. Dee was a very an especially gracious host who was absolutely meant to do what she does. The snorkeling was by far the best I have seen in the Caribbean. The rum punch was appreciated.

We followed the Woodwinds tour with The Bonaire Vista Land Tour. The land tour was equally outstanding and Brian was equally gracious and knowledgeable host. The tour included iguanas, cactus fences, a beautiful national park, pink flamingos, salt pyramids, slave huts, a spectacular vista point, and a deliciously tasty local cactus liqueur called Cadushy. He presented us with a special keepsake at the end of the tour that would be worth what the tour would cost if you purchased it back on the ship.

More Bonaire Reviews Bonaire Port Profile Bonaire Forum