Carnival Dream Cruise Review by niagaracris

Cruise Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 8A

March Break Cruise
Embarkation: was very smooth and quick. Balcony cabin was comfortable, cabin Steward was so efficient, friendly, and always remembered our names...incredible how they do that!

Food: The gathering offered many options, which I appreciated. Totally worth the 20 minute or less wait for the Mongolian wok, Pasta bar, burrito bar, (did not try Indian grill). Ate at buffet for lunch a few days as well, and always found the food had loads of flavour and seasoned well. Barbecue on lania deck was also a good choice. Cheesecakes which have been my favorite in the past, were a total let down...just didn't taste as good? Frozen yogurt cones..everyday and night...were a great replacement.

The dining room was a bit of a let down. Breakfast was always quick, hot, and good, with great service..(we always sat in the same place with the same servers and tipped a few dollars)not to mention free cappuccinos. Dinner was hot and cold literally. Twice dinner was delivered cold. Prime rib was the worse I have ever had anywhere. Other than that I appreciated the did ya ever try choices, and kids enjoyed trying alligator, shark, frog legs etc. Soups are done very well as always. Pastas were always a hit with me, and sauces full of flavour. I definitely think the food in the dining room has declined in general from last year. Our servers were always friendly, and really tried the best they could to keep up..I commend them all. I found the hostesses to be a little cool..very business like. Maitre De was very friendly and always smiled. Still love the little entertainment the staff does in the dining room...they really do look like they enjoy it, as we do. Coffee bar was so so. Tried sushi bar, my parents enjoyed this almost every night, I personally don't like sushi (confirmed again this trip). Did not go to steakhouse this trip.

Entertainment: Dancing in the streets was awesome, Family friendly comedians were very funny, we enjoyed our virgin drinks in the club with the kids. Big screen was interesting, but at odd times, laser show as most other entertainment was to late. We generally go to bed early after a day in the sun. Kids really enjoyed the arcade, club 02 and Circle C not so much (but was their choice) the age I think. Slides were so much fun. Kids did golf one day, but could be difficult due to wind. Casino one night...was fun...came out a little ahead. Was smoky tho, if that bothers you.

Public Places: Ship was very clean, decor was not to my taste, but not over the top tacky. Pools were crowded, but not so bad that you couldn't go for a quick dip. ALL whirlpools were extremely crowded with kids, running in and out of them. Hence, I did not step foot into any of these cesspools of pee. Serenity deck was a huge disappointment after having been on The Legend last year. We hung out by the aft pool, deck above. Always had chairs, but was up on the deck early 830-900a.m. Most chairs had already been claimed. I found the music to be a great eclectic mix without the loud party vibe, like the pool mid-ship. Servers were always prompt, friendly, and not pushy. I found the cruisers to be very friendly, no rudeness, pushing, chair altercations...even with the ship being at full capacity with loads of kids.

Itinerary: Bahamas went to Junkanoo beach, walking distance from ship. Appropriate for this first short stop. St. Thomas, went to Sapphire beach, which has good snorkeling, but no real good options for food. Cab driver was informative and friendly. We bought our jewellery on this island, as there was to be less boats than in St. Marten. St. Marten, booked with Bernard tours, Orient beach, Maho Beach with planes overhead, Marigot shopping, and a few other little surprise stops including sea urchins and large Iguanas. Would recommend this in a heart beat.

Disembarkation: POOR. Lengthy wait to be called to disembark and a piece of luggage did not make it off of the ship, so we were one of the last people to leave since locating the piece of luggage was time consuming.

OVERALL: Dream is a lovely ship,had a great cruise with loads of great memories, but we prefer the spirit class ship. Ship was rocky and swaying most nights, which surprised us. A little sea sickness the first few nights. Saw the Oasis of the seas...OMG HUGE!!! Could not even imagine trying to navigate that baby. This is our fourth trip with Carnival, and we may just venture to another line for a change.

Publication Date: 03/31/12