Carnival Legend Cruise Review by saharaga: Another Great Cruise on the Legend

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Another Great Cruise on the Legend

Sail Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Tampa

We decided to book the Legend for a second time and were not disappointed. We drove to Tampa the day before our cruise and stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Tampa Fairgrounds / Casino. They had a package that allowed you to park your car there for the duration of the cruise. The hotel is mostly new and very nice. Staff service was excellent and the hotel shuttle not only takes you to and from the cruise port, they also take you anywhere within a six mile radius of the hotel. Throw in a free breakfast and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Tampa is one of our favorite ports. During embarkation, we experienced the typical long lines but the lines moved fairly quickly and check-in was a breeze. Debarkation in Tampa was also quick and easy. It is truly an efficient port that we enjoy cruising from.

We found our cabin once we got on the ship and headed to the buffet. Carnival seems to have cut back on the food selection since the last time we cruised on the Legend. We didn't notice More any difference in food service on our Elation cruise in 2010 but this cruise was different. The buffet seemed to serve what the dining room served. That's not necessarily a bad thing but we avoid the dining room when the menu doesn't appeal to us. To go up to the buffet and find the same food was a little disappointing. The buffet selection also seems to have diminished. The first few days I thought it was my imagination but I realized that it was not me. There really was less food to choose from. This is one of those mixed blessings I guess. One of the reasons we enjoy cruising is for the wide variety of food. But, having fewer options helps us eat less. So, I guess I can't complain about this too much. The food was still good and that's the most important thing.

The staff on the Legend was overall very friendly. We had a wonderful steward as usual. Milagros was our first female steward and she just doted on my 2.5 year old. He loved it. He had a different towel animal every night, some we'd never seen before. We chose anytime dining and this cruise convinced us to go back to assigned seating. We also had anytime dining on the Elation and did not experience any of the issues we had on the Legend. Probably because it's a smaller ship but good service is a basic expectation no matter how busy a restaurant is. We had one really good waiter, Carlos. He was truly good at his job. Even though he had so much going on, he was attentive, prompt, and entertaining. We had one so-so female waiter who managed to get our orders right and dote on my little one. Service was slow though and I'm not sure who's to blame for that. Our third waiter was pretty bad. It took forever for that team to acknowledge our presence, took forever to get our orders, they brought the wrong things, and I never got my after dinner cappuccino. They didn't interact with us outside of introducing themselves and taking our orders.

The dining room hostesses were wonderful and no matter where they saw us on the ship, they came up to us to talk to our little one. They also mingled with the guests in the buffet during breakfast and lunch. I thought that was a very nice touch. We used Camp Carnival one time and while I'm sure they are good at taking care of the kids and keeping them entertained, they don't seem prepared to handle a child who is potty training and past the Pull-up stage. I explained to the lady that checked us in that my little boy is shy with strangers and may not tell them that he needs to go potty. I suggested that they take him to the potty in an hour if he doesn't say anything. Sure enough, I get a call about 90 minutes later that my little one had an accident and was screaming his head off.

Anyone with a small child who doesn't normally have accidents knows that they get very upset when they do have an accident. I get up there and I'm trying to be patient and wait my turn in line but I could hear my child still screaming and saw him standing there on the monitor off to the side. I went to the head of the line and got my boy. The ladies that were there were not the ones who were there when I checked him in and the person I spoke with initially did not tell the others he needed to be taken to the potty. Nevertheless, I did not find them receptive to my reminder about the instructions I left. The lady suggested that next time I bring him in a Pull-up. We just didn't trust them to follow our instructions after that so kept him with us for the rest of the cruise.

Despite our disappontment with Roatan, having to dodge the rain in every port, and a few minor hiccups with service, we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the Legend. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Balcony Panorama 8116

This is a standard Carnival balcony cabin. The noise from a door on the Lido deck above us opening and closing got a little annoying but it was otherwise quiet.

In Belize, my husband went on the Belliken Brewery tour offered by the Wet Lizard while our little boy and I hung around the ship and got off around mid-day for some shopping and to meet my husband for lunch. We ate lunch at the Wet Lizard and while the food was good, we had an awful waitress. The Wet Lizard tour includes lunch but my husband and his tour companion had to pay for their drinks. The restaurant was packed but overall, I thought the Wet Lizard was overrated. My husband enjoyed the brewery tour even though he couldn't bring any beer back with him.

In Cozumel, we took a cab from the port to Playa Corona. It was a rainy day but we stayed at the port and did a little shopping and went to Playa Corona for the two hours of sun we got in the afternoon. We had a good time relaxing, playing in the sand and swimming near the shore with our little boy. The cab driver agreed to come back and pick us up and he was there promptly to get us so he got an extra tip for that. We were getting in the cab just as it started to rain again.
Read 3099 Cozumel Reviews

Semi Submarine Tour

(4)
In Grand Cayman, we booked the Nautilus semi-submarine tour through the company's website. It was a good tour but I think the adults enjoyed it more than the kids. My little boy was bored with the fish well before the tour was over. It was fascinating though seeing the undersea ruins and all the tropical fish. We had a really good tour guide who made sure everyone got good pictures. We did a little souvenir shopping after the tour and went back to the ship. This was a great tour but probably best for older kids.

Roatan was perhaps our biggest disappointment. I went out on our balcony to watch the ship dock and quickly realized that this was not where we docked in 2007. Carnival has created this very sanitized tourist village at the port that I found disappointing. I enjoy experiencing the locals and their culture when I visit other places and it looks like this dock was designed so that only certain people could be there. I was fully expecting to be able to get off the ship like last time and catch a cab for a quick and informative island tour and hopping. The cabs are there but there are only certain cabs allowed into that area and the prices are fixed on the high side. We did take a cab into Coxen Hole since I wanted to get some Honduran coffee that was not severely overpriced like the one they were selling in the booth at the dock. You could see all the other cab drivers lined up on the side of the road because they can't come into the cruise port area. It's a downright shame to hamper someone's livelihood. Most tourists are not going to walk past the cruise port to get to these cabs. It was an incredibly disappointing experience and I doubt I will cruise back to Roatan because of it.
Read 1645 Roatan Reviews