“Lovely Maasdam!”
Cruise review of Holland America Maasdam

lawyerrose Maasdam 5 Lovely Maasdam!
lawyerrose
Member Since 2005
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
The Maasdam is a lovely ship. Perfect size for me, with its beautiful teak promenade deck. Our veranda cabin was roomy with plenty of closet and storage space and a jetted tub in the bathroom. The usual comfy beds!! Nice snuggly robes, slippers, and a cooler to keep the non-alcoholic beer and champagne we'd brought on board. The service couldn't have been better, especially our dining room waiter. We had main seating at 8 p.m. I got room service every morning, specifying the time and they always were prompt, within five minutes of when I'd asked for it. Very impressive. I love that you can get a full breakfast in your room if you want. But I went up to the Lido when I wanted to indulge in Eggs Benedict! I loved exploring islands I hadn't yet visited; like St. Croix, St. Vincent, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts. Arranged for private tours with folks from our roll call, which worked out well. Took HAL's zip lining excursion in Barbados, and it couldn't have been better. HAL's price was actually cheaper than booking it directly. Entertainment was generally pretty good, though I didn't go every night. We loved the crew's show and the comedian, Jeff something. The one and only disappointment was afternoon tea, including Royal Dutch tea. It was served buffet style, which really saddened me to see. That's not the way to do tea, IMHO. The Yum-Yum man was there, glad to say! Love that strong ginger! After so many ports, it was great to have the last couple days as sea days to just relax and spoil myself at the spa. Used spa services a lot and the staff couldn't have been nicer. From start to finish, this was one of the best cruises I've had. I love the smaller ships, with their more intimate ambiance. I feel more connected with the sea than when on the larger ships with 2-3 thousand other passengers.
Maasdam Cruises to the Southern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Vista Suite with Verandah

BBBQ120
I booked a BB guarantee and got a BQ. The spa stuff was not particularly impressive but I loved the location of the cabin, as I like the motion of a forward cabin and have a preference for the port side of the ship (no real reason). The veranda was roomy enough for a lounge chair, little table and cushioned chair. The bathroom was nice in that it had a tub, but it could have used an exhaust fan and more room for your things at the sink area. Compared to some of the tiny bathrooms on other cruise lines, though, it was fine. Beds were wonderful and the sofa was more comfortable than the ones used on the Vista class ships. Lots of storage at the desk area - more than we needed. Liked having the docking station to play my iPod and the DVD player. I loved the cabin and spent a lot of time there.

Island tour
The tour itself was great, saw a lot of St. Kitts. Especially loved the Batik factory. Our tour guide/driver could have used a sense of humor - or personality in general.
Port
Took an independently-booked land and sea tour that was excellent. Island is gorgeous and dramatic with its black sand beaches.
Did this island on my own, since I've been there many times before. It's getting very crowded - but then there were 4 ships in port, one of them being the Epic. Lots of building everywhere. Still, it's a great island and I fully enjoyed seeing it again.
Read 3,325 St. Maarten Reviews
Just walked from ship to town and did some shopping. Very poor island. If I'd done some kind of tour, would probably have had a better feel for the island.
Published 03/30/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Maasdam Review
Maasdam Cruises to the Southern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?