Maasdam Cruise Review by lawyerrose

Cruise Date: March 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: BB
Cabin Number: BQ120
See More About: Maasdam Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Maasdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Maasdam Deck Plans
Lovely Maasdam!
The Maasdam is a lovely ship. Perfect size for me, with its beautiful teak promenade deck. Our veranda cabin was roomy with plenty of closet and storage space and a jetted tub in the bathroom. The usual comfy beds!! Nice snuggly robes, slippers, and a cooler to keep the non-alcoholic beer and champagne we'd brought on board.

The service couldn't have been better, especially our dining room waiter. We had main seating at 8 p.m. I got room service every morning, specifying the time and they always were prompt, within five minutes of when I'd asked for it. Very impressive. I love that you can get a full breakfast in your room if you want. But I went up to the Lido when I wanted to indulge in Eggs Benedict!

I loved exploring islands I hadn't yet visited; like St. Croix, St. Vincent, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts. Arranged for private tours with folks from our roll call, which worked out well. Took HAL's zip lining excursion in Barbados, and it couldn't have been better. HAL's price was actually cheaper than booking it directly.

Entertainment was generally pretty good, though I didn't go every night. We loved the crew's show and the comedian, Jeff something.

The one and only disappointment was afternoon tea, including Royal Dutch tea. It was served buffet style, which really saddened me to see. That's not the way to do tea, IMHO.

The Yum-Yum man was there, glad to say! Love that strong ginger!

After so many ports, it was great to have the last couple days as sea days to just relax and spoil myself at the spa. Used spa services a lot and the staff couldn't have been nicer.

From start to finish, this was one of the best cruises I've had. I love the smaller ships, with their more intimate ambiance. I feel more connected with the sea than when on the larger ships with 2-3 thousand other passengers.

Publication Date: 03/30/12