Bahamas Celebration Cruise Review by prettyblue_eyes: Primitive Cruising...great for first timers (full review)

prettyblue_eyes
Member Since 2007

Primitive Cruising...great for first timers (full review)

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Other

Everyone has been asking me what this cruise is like as it is local to where we live. So with a groupon voucher with a fantastic rate, and flexibility to book anytime over the next 12 months we went. I took 5 other guests with us, 3 of which had never cruised before. Those who knew nothing thought it was absolutely wonderful with no life experience for comparison. The seasoned group new the cabins weren't to industry standard. WE DID NOT HAVE TO DO THE TIMESHARE PROGRAM SPEACHES THAT SOME HAD TO ATTEND TO GET GREAT RATES. I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT ALL THAT INVOLVED BUT HEARD IT WAS A 2 HOUR PITCH THAT THEY ALL SAT THROUGH IN FORT LAUDERDALE. The valet $30.00 parking was very nice, as well we know, port parking is always difficult.
Food was absolutely wonderful, I agree.
A little unususal system of 1 night choice in the formal (casual formal), and 1 night in the casual dining room, turned out ok. The formal dining was predictable, and was very nice. The casual was More different with you going to a buffet type set up for salad and appetizer and desert, however your main entree was selected off menu, and very entertaining waiters served pieces of gourmet meats off a scewer to each passgenger onto their plates. Ususal pizza and alike type snacks available until 3 am which was the norm for any line.
The entertainment was very good, the comedians were priceless. The lounge singer was excellent, and top quality. One night was a gentlemen the next a very talented lady.
The casino was small, smokey and the slots were antique. Smoking was only allowed in casino and outside decks. I am a avid hater of smoke, and get very sick from it with a lung problem, so the casino was not even a consideration for me. The cabins is where this line is separated from the rest. We had a class 4 outside cabin(the best outside, and no balcony's are on this ship), it contained 4 "bunk" beds 2 folded up against each wall, and 2 on the floor. We asked for 1 bed, so as per usual they push them together, however; these were pushed to one side of the wall, which meant one of us had to literally crawl in from the end over the metal box which held the mattress. Because the mattresses were in metal "boxes", in the middle of the bed you have a double strip of metal. My recommendation would be leave them apart. There is no fridge. There is no safe, so therefore ladies your going to carry your purse everywhere you go. Thank goodness I took no jewelry that I would normally put with my passport, and wallet in the safe. That was a royal pain. The ladder in the closet for the bunks was not fastened to anything so the second night in a bit of rough seas, it clanged and banged inside and affected sleep. The bathroom was as typical as any other ship. For 2 nights, at 299.00 per couple for a cat 4 cabin, it was worth the money. Would I stay longer, NO. The $12.00 per day tipping is non-negotiable, unlike the rest of the industry. We like to tip based on service, and this is a non-issue on this ship, they will not reverse the tips. My cabin with 3 - 25 year olds in it, found a very soiled pair of underwear from the previous passenger in their cabin, in the closet, and I could not convince the ship to even reverse their tips. They were offered a bottle of wine or bucket of beer, in lieu. I had the cabin recleaned, but nonetheless it showed it wasn't really acceptable cleaning. Would I recommend? For first time cruisers absoltuely. Find out if you have sea legs, get the idea of living aboard a ship, but for full price NO. My ratings are based on what I paid $299.00 per couple including port charges taxes and fuel surcharges. Watch for a deal, and go for it. For seasoned cruisers, its very primitive and you would not rate it equally to first time cruisers, however; for the price it was fine for 2 nights. Less

Read more Bahamas Celebration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Bahamas Celebration Review >>

Cabin review: Bahamas Celebration 8440

8044 Quiet Location, Great view, Leave beds apart, no safe or fridge 8034 Quiet Location, Great view, Leave beds apart, no safe or fridge 7426 Quiet Location, Great view, Leave beds apart, no safe or fridge