Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Lovecruisestoo: Very nice time on Celebrity's Summit Southern Caribbean Crui

Lovecruisestoo
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

Very nice time on Celebrity's Summit Southern Caribbean Crui

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We enjoyed the newly upgraded (January 2012) Summit very much. As always, their gourmet specialty restaurant, Normandie, was top notch. We ate there three times ... in fact, we were offered a free dinner by Celebrity for the first evening as we were staying in a suite. The other two times we paid the $40 surcharge. We also had lunch one day at the new crepe restaurant ... also a hit. My husband and I even tried Qzine (also $40 each) ... but it wasn't our favorite and would not go back. Some of Qzine's items were tasty .. some not. For $40 we decided we very much preferred the Normandie.

On the other evenings we had reservations for dinner in the main dining room for 7:30 (dine as you wish). That dining room was very hectic and on the last formal night our reservation was messed up and we had to wait quite a while ... everyone seemed very confused. Give me the old regular time dining.

This particular Southern Caribbean cruise had five stops ... four in a row, More then a sea day and one more port. On the fourth day we were very tired and really looking forward to our day at sea.

On St. Croix we did the Buck Island snorkeling through the cruiseship ... a little disappointed the coral was not colorful at all and the water was a bit rough. Still, glad we can cross that off our "bucket list." In St. Kitt's we took a taxi to the Marriott ... beautiful facility and nice beach, though some seaweed. Very nice day.

In Grenada we hired Chris Buckmire (can be found on the internet) ... very nice guy and very nice tour. Really enjoyed Grenada ... don't forget to buy spices!

On Dominica we also hired a driver through Woody's Dominica Tours ... we got his assistant as he himself was already booked. Very nice tour (though driving in Dominica is tough) ... I suggest for Woody's tours you just have two or three people or you may have to sit in the back of the 4x4 in the open air. The best part was we went to a beach at the end of the tour that only 4x4s can get in to ... we had it all to ourselves! Beautiful! Should have asked to go there sooner!

On St. Thomas we booked through Celebrity the Catamaran Champagne Snorkel trip. We have done this two or three times before ... great trip with beautiful scenery. They stop at St. John's for snorkeling (actually better than Buck Island!) and there's a little beach you can sit on. Very first-class excursion and worth the money.

Overall, very pleased with the upgrades to the ship. Our Celebrity class suites now have a balcony (added in January) ... nice room with butler service! One article I read about a year ago said the Summit was going to get the Tuscan Grille ... which it did not. I think I would prefer that to Qzine. (But our friends liked Qzine ... so I guess it's up to your own taste.)

One thing I don't like is that the suite guests don't really get a lot of perks like they do on Holland America. But ... lovely time, and, yes, I would go on Summit again. Hope this helps. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Celebrity Suite Penthouse Deck (6) 6104

Cabin 6104 ... Celebrity Suite with newly added balcony. It has a private bedroom where you can shut the door ... although to gain access to the bathroom you must go through the bedroom. It did seem quiet. There is a large table in the room .... great for room service. Two TVs. Makeup desk in bedroom. Shower is part of tub ... and you have to climb over a very high tub to get in. The newly added balcony is very wide but not deep. They only give you two chairs and a small round table ... no chaises. Overall, very nice room and much larger than any of the mini-suites. And, you have a butler!