Golden Princess Cruise Review by Paul Kerry

Cruise Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Hawaii
Cabin Category: J
See More About: Golden Princess Cruise Reviews | Hawaii Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

OUR LAST CRUISE ON PRINCESS
We have been on at least 6 Princess Cruises so decided to take the 14 day Hawaii cruise with them. Most of the cruise was typical Princess, adequate but nothing spectacular. We did notice that the entertainment on this cruise was pretty mediocre at best. Several things that happened resulted in our decision to never cruise with Princess again.

Anytime dining has become a joke. Without reservations, which defeats the whole purpose of "anytime" dining, you will stand and wait to be seated on most nights. We observed several squabbles over seating with the head waiter and many unhappy diners.

We noticed that at least half of the patrons using the food court failed to use the hand sanitation that was clearly available at the entrance. When we asked the young lady manning the station why she did not ask people to use the hand sanitizer she replied that "management has told them not to hassle people about it, that it was up to them." So, because someone decides to be a slob, everyone else is put at risk because of them. Some of the behaviors observed in the food court serving line made us understand why outbreaks of intestinal viruses are common.

Similarly, even though cabins are supposedly smoke-free we often smelled cigarette smoke in the hallways. When we asked our cabin attendant about this he said that people do smoke in the rooms and, again, they were told not to hassle people about it.

I am a veteran and Princess has a program that gives veterans on-board credit. I did not know this until a fellow passenger mentioned it to me but when I went and asked the front desk about it they refused to allow me any credit since I did not register for it 14 days in advance. They were rude in my opinion and gave no explanation as to why it was not possible to allow this credit even though I did not know (nor was I told about it by Princess) in advance.

The crowning blow came when I checked with the front desk about my airport shuttle upon return. They looked at my schedule and told me that I would never get to the airport in time for my flight (11:15am) and recommended that I re-book another flight, which I did. Upon arriving in Los Angeles we did get to the airport about 2 hours PRIOR to my original flight and did not want to wait all day for the later flight so we ended up changing back to the original flight again. Because of ticket changes, it ended up costing me over $500 more simply due to the poor advice from Princess.

I filled out the evaluation forms Princess sent when we got home and some woman called a couple of weeks later and said they got the evaluation. I asked about any resolution of my complaints and she said I would have to file another form with corporate headquarters and she hung up. I filed another complaint and heard nothing until the end of March when another woman called. She was sympathetic and said she understood our frustration but never really admitted any mistakes by Princess, only statements that I did not understand their policy. No real apology was extended nor were there any offers of upgrades on another cruise or any on-board credits. In other words besides the poor service and arrogance, I was told that I was wrong and that Princess was right.

Thanks for your poor service and arrogance Princess, you lost a good customer. There are some really good cruise lines out there but PRINCESS IS NOT ONE OF THEM!!!

Publication Date: 03/29/12