Carnival Magic Cruise Review by pal6123: Magic Review

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Magic Review

Sail Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

We sailed for Spring Break to Freeport and Nassau, Bahamas and Key West. Really liked Key West and Nassau; not so thrilled with Freeport, but nice people. The ship was packed with 4600 people--including 1500 kids under 18. Since I was traveling with a friend, both of us wished for more adult areas. The Magic has a large area called Serenity for adults, but alas, no adult pool. The pools (two) in general seemed small for such a crowded boat. But, they have a water park/slides that the kids were thrilled with. We were pleased with the service and the food selections. Breakfast was the most unusual, I guess. Since this ship spends 1/2 its time in the Mediterranean, it likely caters to the European style of breakfast offerings there. However, when in Galveston they should shift the emphasis to what Americans like to eat. For example, if you wanted a pancake, waffle, or the like, you had to leave the Lido Marketplace and go outside to the pool for it. That one line got very More long. Hamburgers, fries, and hotdogs were also in this one area only.
Overall, we enjoyed very much our time aboard. We were definitely the largest ship in any port we visited.
We did the art auctions onboard and learned a lot about art and were very entertained. I also visited the workout facilities twice---not as big as other boats, but OK. The spa area has a day pass you can buy for $35 allowing you to use the wet and dry saunas and the mineral baths for the day. Otherwise, this feature on the ship is for those with lots of MONEY--all spa services were way overpriced compared to land prices.
Don't feel like you have to do everything on the ship. If you miss an event, it will be broadcast on the TV in your room the next day on a loop. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Oceanview Riviera 1316

Our room was bigger than an inside stateroom because it had a window. Being on the first floor, it seemed we felt the movement of the boat a little more. We certainly saw the waves passing by as they got bigger one night! We had two bathrooms--one with a toilet. The two bathrooms both had sinks and showers.

My sister told me before I went to just stay on the boat, it wasn't worth it. I didn't believe her and should have. We just shopped around the port area, but prices were high.
Read 779 Freeport Reviews

City Trolley / Conch Train Tour

(5.5)
Easy to hop on/off at spots. $29.99 on the boat. For sure could have gotten it cheaper right in town.

Ernest Hemingway House & Tour

(5.5)
We did a hop on/hop off trolley tour and bought our tickets at the Hemingway house. $12 each and was interesting. Found out I don't like the man very much, but good house.

City Tour

(5.5)
We found a really great guide just at the port. Many are waiting for the ships. They will charge $20 for a 2 and 1/2 hour tour in their van. I highly recommend you find Reynaldo Delaney. Ask for him. He was very knowledgeable and interesting. We learned about Bahamian economics, religion, education, politics, etc.. He took us to the forts (great pics of the cruise ships from there) and to Atlantis to walk around for about 30 minutes. He was fantastic! Don't buy the expensive excursions on the boat!