Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by kjhighball: Family Spring Break Cruise

Compare Prices on Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Family Spring Break Cruise

Sail Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

The Mariner of the Seas was great in all aspects. The was the second time for my wife and me on a Voyager-class ship. However, it was the first time for my kids: 6-year-old boy and 8-year-old girl. We decided on the Mariner out of Galveston for a family spring break cruise. And we all loved it!

SHIP:
The Mariner of the Seas is in great shape. The crew was constantly keeping it clean. They were painting the varnish on the wood railings throughout the week. While it was getting prepared for a drydock in April, it looked perfect to us.

DINING:
We enjoyed the Main Dining Room food on all nights. My kids loved ordering from the adult menu, and most nights, we had 2-3 appetizers because the variety was great. We really enjoyed the cold soups. The lamb shank was one of the best I have had. Our only complaint was the 5:30 main seating: we would have liked to have a 6 p.m. main seating since there is so much to do. Next time, we might try my time dining about More 6:45. The Windjammer was open whenever we needed it, and it always had a great variety. The kids loved room service breakfast on the balcony! We did not eat in the specialty restaurants since the MDR was always great!

STAFF:
Our cabin steward and dining room waiters were excellent. They remembered our names, and they always greeted us frequently.

ENTERTAINMENT:
For a family with young kids, I felt the shows were limited. I would have expected more kid-friendly shows on a Spring Break cruise. We only attended a couple of the shows, and some of the jokes were not kid-friendly. However: the Ice Show was AWESOME. It was definitely worth attending.

CHILDRENS AREA:
Adventure Ocean was great. The staff was very engaging, and they had great activities. They meet us immediately upon boarding the ship and were always enthusiastic. The crafts were not of a high quality. The kids definitely enjoyed going and wanted to always stay longer.

PORT OF GALVESTON:
The port and/or RCI need to address some issues here. While there were large crowds due to Spring Break, there are a couple of problems:
1) Entry Into Port: all traffic is directed down Harborside drive and into ONE gate. At this one gate, all the Carnival and Royal traffic is funneled into one lane for about 100 feet. When we arrived, a car had blocked Terminal 1's lane and the backup blocked Terminal 2 as well. They simply need better traffic flow. TIP: avoid harborside completely and go through the "Strand" area to enter the port directly around 22nd street.
2) Check-In: We were in the Gold line, but the normal cruiser line moved faster! The line agents needed to monitor all the various check-in lines better.
3) Disembarkation: 3 hours from lining up on ship to driving. That is unacceptable! We were "assigned" a time to get off between 8:30-9. I wished we had stayed on until 12 p.m. and enjoyed a long breakfast. Instead, we spent 2 hours in line getting to our luggage and then another 1 hour to get through customs and to our car.

OVERALL:
We would definitely RECOMMEND the Mariner of the Seas for any future cruises. I hope Galveston/RCI can fix some of the port issues because I like Texas-based cruising. Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 1392

Aft D1 1392: Balcony was huge: big enough for 2 chaise lounge chairs, 2 normal chairs, and a table. Not as much breeze as the side of the ship. Room was a normal D1 -- the sofa bed was actually very nice as the sofa seat becomes one bed, and the sofa back becomes the other. Would definitely recommend.

At Belize, we had to tender in since the ships anchor about 5 miles outside of part. The tenders were efficient, and the port itself has great shopping options spread about 4-5 buildings inside the "tourist" zone. We did a ship excursion: city tour and airboat ride. The city tour was somewhat interesting, but the highlight was definitely the 45-minute airboat ride. Each airboat holds about 16 passengers, and they take you to a very peaceful lake/marsh area. We saw birds, a turtle, and a crocodile. The experience was definitely worth it.

Chankanaab National Park Tour

(4)
After our Dolphin Swim, we headed to the Chankanaab Park for snorkeling. The beach there is rocky: the sand is separate from the water by some big rocks. You descend into the water via a staircase. The water was pretty clear, and we saw lots of big fish. There were several restaurants that seemed to have reasonable prices.

Dolphin Swim & Encounter

(5)
Kids and Adults loved the Dolphin Push Pull Swim. We spent 40-50 minutes in the water with 2 dolphins. The trainers helped those who couldn't swim as well. Everyone wore a lifevest. The ability to have a dolphin swim with you was very neat. The kids wanted to do it again! If you want the professional pictures though, get ready to pay!

We opted for the Bodden Tours "Best of..." Part of our group did the Bodden Zipline while the other part went to Monkey Business. Those that ziplined said it was great: lots of different routes in the trees. The Monkey Business was fun for the young kids but the monkeys can bite! Bodden has all the shot records so we weren't concerned. After the morning zipline/monkeys, we went to West Bay Beach. The water and sand were GREAT, but it was a little crowded. And the facilities were not very nice. The kids loved the beach, and that was the important part. If I return to Roatan, I think I would look for a day-long resort pass to enjoy a more private beach.
Read 1649 Roatan Reviews