Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Drive9140: Most fun spring break ever

Drive9140
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Most fun spring break ever

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Typically, our spring breaks in New Mexico have involved me going snow skiing at Purgatory in Southwestern Colorado. However, my wife doesn't ski so it didn't involve her. Cruising has been our family favorite since our youngest child was three. Our children are boys ages 17 and 13. Both really enjoy their respective kid areas. I enjoy looking at the water. My wife enjoys everything about a cruie ship. Because a cruise ship is a place where our kids cannot really get lost, my wife and I are comfortable with them doing there own thing at there pace. They had some late evenings, while we were able to get t o bed around 10:00 most evenings.

Food: we have had better on other cruises, and a particularly big dissapointment to my wife was no Beef Wellington on this ship. My kids enjoyed their dinners in the dining room with us each evening, and left to be with their peers. Previou s cruises on carnival have always involved the waitstaff parading around the dining room, More singing and dancing. They had the singing and they had dancing, but the waitstaff stayed in their own areas.. A small dissapointment for us. Wealso frequented the buffett, pizza and deli numerous times.

Cruise director and his staff: comparing them to other cruises, this was a big negative. I think the show dancers did most of the activities. Rachel was an exception, and was very visible and busy during the entire 7 days. She did a lot of trivia, and was responsible for our older child bringing home seven solid gold plastic ships on a stick (trophy). I believe this is the first cruise wher my wife and i were unable to win a free bottle of champagne. Don't think i saw anybody win champagne. The free things are less than before.

Shows and Entertainment: We found all to be great. We attended fou different family comedy shows and all were funny. What we saw in the main showroom was wonderful. A sidenote is one of the dancers was also involved in volleyball which my wife considered to be a big highlight. Karaoke was abundant and very enjoyable. Too many in here were nearly professional caliber singers and the cruise staff person in charge gave them too much attention, and got away from what karaoke is. Just having fun singing.

Overall it was a great week, and i can't take all the space i would like reviewing it. I know there are people booked on future cruises that might have specific things they want to know about. Yo can e-mail me at drive9140@aol.com and maybe i can help. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Oceanview Riviera 1283

We booked an oceanview and were expecting a small window, but it was a large window with a bay large enough to sit in. Wonderful views. The bathroom was large by ship standards, and hot water. The instructions said set it a 38 but that was too hot for me. Maybe closer to 32 was my liking. Lots of closet and drawer space. Nice tv, but hard too navigate the remote. Was quiet at night and most times during the day. Bed large and comfortable. Hair dryer was in the dresser drawer. I add this incase you read any reviews saying there are no hairdryers. Great place to live for a week.

Maybe spent too much time here. Two days is a long time. We walked around the dock area and said no to fishing trips maybe a hundred times. Stay away from the hard rock cafe, too expensive, poor service and the worst chips and salsa ever. There were a lot of places to eat along the docks that i would have liked to try, but i was not hungry enough. Beer was cheap. 5 bottles of corona and chip and salsa for 10 bucks. Not for my kids though.

Man has this place grown. Many many high rise condo building's since I had been their six years ago. Aggressive vendors on the beach, made it hard to enjoy walking on the sand. They have maybe the fanciest mall about a three or four block walk from the cruise terminal and wal-mart is close by. You can buy a motor bike here. I don't know if you can bring it on the cruise ship.