Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by cruiserjack1: Seven Great Days at Sea!

cruiserjack1
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Celebrity Solstice Western Caribbean Cruises

Seven Great Days at Sea!

Sail Date: March 2012

PERSONAL-- I am mid-50s and traveled alone on this cruise. I have cruised quite a bit, and appreciate Celebrity's style.

EMBARCATION-- The lines moved, the staff was courteous, and I was on board in matter of minutes. Since I arrived around 1:30 PM, I was able to drop my carry-on in my cabin and head up for a buffet lunch. Flawless!

SHIP OVERALL-- I had sailed on the Solstice before, and have also sailed on the Eclipse. This is a beautiful class of ships, with gracious public spaces, thoughtful artwork, and nice cabins. She is maintained perfectly, and I noticed that spaces were constantly being cleaned.

CABIN-- I had an oceanview cabin on Deck Three. The bedding is very nice, and the storage quite adequate. I appreciated the variety of music available through the TV. While I never watched a film, there are plenty of them available for free. My cabin steward was attentive. I never heard a sound from either adjacent cabin. I had room service breakfast every More morning, and it came promptly as ordered.

DINING-- I singed up for "anytime" dining, and requested to be put at a six-top or eight-top. I generally got to the dining room close to 7 PM. The two couples with whom I dined the first night invited me to join them again two other nights. Service was excellent, and the food was delicious every night. I'm not always keen on cruise ship lobster, but it was very tasty on this cruise. I didn't use any specialty restaurants. The Oceanview Cafe offers quite a variety of foods for the buffet options. Don't miss the brunch in the main dining room on the last sea day-- spectacular!

ENTERTAINMENT-- I love the evening shows, and they were terrific on this cruise. The troupe offers three big shows during a 7-day cruise. One is like a Cirque du Soleil show, another has a Broadway theme and the last is "Pulse", focused on various dance styles. Considering we had some active oceans this week, the dancers did an amazing job staying on their feet! The comedian/juggler was hilarious and talented. Lindsey Hamilton, of London's West End, offered a lovely performance one night. Even our captain got in the act, playing the guitar and singing a couple of times. There were a variety of music soloists or groups playing throughout the ship, day and night.

FITNESS/SPA-- I used the gym every day, and was satisfied with the equipment. I didn't sign up for any fitness class, nor did I have a spa treatment. I used the Persian Garden once; it was OK.

PORTS-- I booked this itinerary for the scuba diving. I've been quite happy with Celebrity's dive excursions, as they are reasonably priced and the sites are incredible. I had done a day of diving in FLL before the cruise, and went diving in Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Roatan. If I didn't dive, I think that the ports would be less appealing. As others have noted, the town on Roatan where the ship docks is not at all attractive for wandering. In Costa Maya, I took a cab to the beach, got a lounge chair, rented a jet ski for a half hour ($30), chatted with other passengers, got a 45 minute beach massage ($20) and hopped back to the ship by cab. A very relaxing day.

SUMMARY-- I wish I were still on the Solstice! Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice Oceanview Stateroom Plaza Deck (3)