Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by pridemnx

Entertainment 5+
Rates 5+

Love it!
Fantastic Cruise

It was the best cruises we ever had. Our group of ten had so much fun. The ship was really amazing. I am not sure if I can go back to a smaller ship. There was always something for everyone. We simply did not have enough time. The different neighborhoods were such a genius idea. The food was tasty and we loved the variety. Guests on board were generally nice and willing to dress up (not always the case nowadays, unfortunately). We enjoyed all entertainment on board. Now, I like to try the Allure of the Seas!

- Embarkation: It was fast and easy. We arrived at port at around noon and we were on the ship within 20 mins. Luggage arrived shortly after the room was ready.

- Ship: The ship was beautiful and huge. We did not feel crowded. My favorite neighborhood was Central Park. It was so relaxing and romantic at night. Boardwalk was next. We felt like a kid again when we ride the Carousal.

- Room (inside cabin) was ok in size. The bed was comfortable. There was not enough closet/storage space. Only a bar of soap and shampoo (in dispenser) were provided. I brought my own conditioner and was glad that I did.

- Entertainment: I liked Oasis of Dreams the most (great show, I almost forgot I was on a ship); 2nd: Frozen in time (the sand artist was a good touch, the skaters were amazing); 3rd: Headliner -Beetle Mania (loved the songs); 4th: Hairspray (the production was well done, it was just not my cup of tea); 5th: Comedy Live (only average, I had seen better ones on other cruises). To get good seats, arrive 30 to 45 mins before show time even if you have reserved your tickets. If you did not reserve tickets or like to see the show again, stand by seats (usually not the best seats) are generally available (except Comedy Live) if you arrive 30 mins before show time. Street parades and parties were all colorful, entertaining, fun and high energy.

- I loved Boleros and Viking lounge for the music and dances. Dancing at Dazzles was good too. There were so many different dance lessons and opportunity to dance. One week was not enough.

- Food: We ate our dinner at MDR every night and find the food delicious. I loved soup and they had so many to choose from. We preferred to eat our breakfast at MDR. We liked the services and the more relaxed environment. We ordered our cook to order breakfast items first and then headed to the express buffet area in the MDR to get our bacon and fruits etc (while we wait for our orders). It was a smart arrangement. We ate lunch at Windjammers on embarkation day. Staff there helped us find a table quickly. I liked the variety and the taste. We ate our lunch at Park Cafe the rest of the week. We tried the famous roast beef sandwich. To me, it was only ok. What we really enjoyed at the Park cafe were the soup and the make to order salad. Bags of chips, nachos etc were also available at Park Cafe. Pre-made pizza at Sorrentos was good. Cook-to-order pizza was not so good.

- Service at MDR was good. Crew and staffs at Guest Service, Focus and around the ship were very helpful and always had a smile. We only had towel animals some of the nights.

- Spa -- some of us in our group tried the spa for men (special on port days and toward the end of cruise). They enjoyed it.

- Debarkation: We left at 6:45am. No lines. No wait.

- I had a lot of trouble with the photos. I prepaid a digital photo package before the cruise. What a mistake! For days, all digital files of our photos were missing from my account. i.e. zero photos when I swiped my card at the kiosk at Focus. Some of the hard copies of photos were missing from my Folio. I was not sure if it was something wrong with the photo recognition program. They also double charged my Seapass. Not wanting to get the most expensive blank CD at the end of the cruise, I wasted a lot of time reporting the issues to the staffs, checking and retaking some photos. It was the most frustrating part of my cruise.

- Interactive TV was not working for two days. I could not access my bookings and accounts. At 11pm on the last night, I found out that they double charged the photos to my Seapass. I had to report the issue to them immediately (they close at midnight). At the end, the staff was helpful and they did something for me. It, however, was not an interest thing to do on the last night.

- In room safe was not working properly.

- No TV channel to provide current weather and forecast.

- Aqua-aerobic class -- it was not that good. Instructions were not very clear. Equipments were not prepared ahead of time.

- We were not sure why RCL chose Amy Fickert as cruise director. I would say a cruise director for a special ship like the Oasis of the Seas should be a funny, energetic, talented and/or above average looking individual. Amy had room to improve. James Andrews was our cruise director when we were on Liberty of the Seas (the largest at that time) four years ago. He would have been a better choice.

- A husband and a wife on our floor had an incident. They had to be separated to different rooms and were under house arrest. Security was stationed outside the room 24/7. We weren't inconvenienced in any way. We felt bad for the couple and our room attendant, waiter etc (knowing that they probably would not get any tips from that room). This was not RCL's fault. In fact, RCL handled the situation appropriately. Our room attendant told us that, unfortunately, this kind of incident was not uncommon (on any cruise).

Labadee -- We stayed at the beach near the volleyball court. The beach was very rocky. I cut my foot even though I was wearing water shoes. Drinking water was not available at the buffet area. Only bottled water was available for purchase. The free "so called" ice tea and juice were just water with food coloring. It tasted funny. The BBQ was only ok.

Falmouth -- We took a $15 per person tour on a trolley at the port. It was a 45 mins tour in the neighborhood. We stopped at a church for some photos. We wanted to stay close to the port and this was a good option.

Cozumel -- Five of us hired a van at the port. We paid $25 per person for a 3 hour sightseeing tour of the island. We stopped by a couple beaches for photos. We enjoyed it.

No matter what, the only thing that I can remember after the cruise:

Life was good on Oasis of the Seas