Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by KimikoPi: Great entertainment, spotty service
Member Since 2007
Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises
Great entertainment, spotty service
I'm an avid cruiser. This was my third Carnival cruise, and the shows have improved drastically from the last two I took in the early 2000s. My favorite was the rock n' roll Vroom show. We loved the curry buffet station. I never got to try the burrito buffet station, but it looked great. The dining room was ok. They had great meals about half the time - my favorites were the surf n' turf and filet mignon . We sat at our own table up top, so we didn't see any of the waiters' dancing/singing. Of course, Carnival isn't a "foodie" cruise line, but we still mostly loved the food. The gym looked remodeled and was really nice looking. It got packed on sea days, though. We really liked the assistant cruise director, too.
Overall, this was a really nice cruise.
Areas where this cruise needed improvement:
- the layout of the ship is old and it was hard to find open deck chairs.
- on sea days, it was windy and cold outside. There should have been more areas to lay outside More with wind protection.
- it may have been Spring Break, and there were a ton of kids on this cruise. Way too many.
- the cabins are in this awful pink/peach/turquoise color scheme, but you get used to it.
- One aspect of the dining room service was baffling. When we asked for coffee or tea after dinner, they never brought us any creamer or milk. When we would ask for milk for our coffee or tea, it would be poured into a large wine glass. Does Carnival not have those cute little cream/milk dispensers??
- On the last day, we opted to use the self-assist option and take our luggage off the ship ourselves. however, the ship never announced that they were switching back to U.S. time. They also never announced that the self-assist option was starting at 7:00 a.m. We thought that was really strange.
- there could have been more activities that didn't involve buying crappy jewelry.
- they tried to sell overpriced spa services too often.
- we got beach towels on the first day in ou cabin, but despite having 2 more days in Cabo and Puerto Vallerta, fresh beach towels were not placed in our cabin.
- there was no traditional midnight buffet on this cruise. But they did have a midnight mexican buffet and a separate chocolate buffet during a lunch meal. Less
Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>
Cabin review: Carnival Splendor
Port and Shore Excursions
Compared to othe cruises - not...
We wanted our money back.
3 day Ensenada cruise