Diamond Princess Cruise Review by Nursepal: Diamond shines but could be a touch better

Nursepal
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Diamond Princess Asia Cruises

Diamond shines but could be a touch better

Sail Date: February 2012
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Other

My friend and I joined the cruise in Tianjin, China. First issue is that cruise terminal was so isolated, long trip to get there, but otherwise good embarkation procedure. Waiting was limited and well organized. Only surprise was that they collected all passports. This was later explained, but if there had been a pre-cruise e-mail, this would not have been a surprise and not causes upset people. We really did not know why the passports were collected, how they would be secured and when the would be returned. As an American for the first time in Asia, it was hard to give up my passport.

Our cabin was usual, clean and available. The TV was poorly placed and really neither person in the cabin could see it clearly. Not that we watched much TV but sometimes, it is relaxing at the end of the day.

The lectures were outstanding. We had a port lecturer that was independent and gave tips. While we did not tour on our own, it was great orientation. The enrichment More speaker was wonderful. Very perfect balance of facts and cultural education. These enhanced my trip.

The excursions were of a good variety. Well organized.

Sea days could have had a little more variety. Most sea day activities were exactly the same. I needed the downtime but really there could have been some other types of activities. Creativity at sea was something I had not seen before and appealed to my friend.

Evening entertainment in the main theater was not impressive. The production shows were fine and standard. But the other shows were all solo singers. There was no variety. I like the magic show,guy with an unusual instrument, or any other variety.

The dining room was fine. We do anytime dining. The menu was a bit odd. The first week, it was pork, pork, and pork as choices. I like pork but too often. By week three it was duck, duck, duck.

Desserts were also predicable and a bit boring.

End of cruise went fine.we took the end port tour which was great and a good way to end the cruise.

Generally, a great tour of Asia. Less

Read more Diamond Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Diamond Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Diamond Princess Oceanview Double Plaza P233

Our cabin was well placed. Only issue was that TV was poorly placed and hard to see.

Victoria Peak

(5)
Excellent tour, floating restaurant was great.

City Tour