Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Review by tallys

Cruise Date: January 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: G
See More About: Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Regent Seven Seas Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Seven Seas Mariner Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Seven Seas Mariner Deck Plans
Beware of Regent Cruises
RE: Regent cruise Jan 20th from lima peru to Bueno Aires Argentina

It is unfortunate that I cannot say Regent Cruise Lines is as excellent as they claim to me. As a matter of fact I am heartbroken that their head office is so incompetent yet their cruise staff is so diligent and accommodating. How can 2 parts of a company be so opposite?

Just for people planning future cruises with this cruise line I feel I should warn you of what happened to us so it doesn't happen to you especially if you are senior citizens

My husband and I decided to take this trip about 8 weeks out from sailing. Of course I understand when you book this close to sailing, there will be certain things you need to pay extra for or cannot get. My travel agent told me the only way I could get transfers from the airport to the ship is if I book my flights with the cruise line. No problem I even upgraded to business class seats. They don't tell you ahead of time what your flights will be. You simply wait and see. My notice is posted on the website that my flight from Miami to lima peru leaves at 2 AM yes 2 Am. I immediately called and said this is unacceptable. Dogs don't fly at that hour. Surely there must be something more humane then that. Yes there is another option. IT IS THE FOLLOWING DAY(Which means I miss the first day on the cruise) and it is a 500 dollars deviation charge. After being totally shocked by this I agreed to pay it. We would now be leaving at 6;30 PM ARRIVING AT 1 AM LOCAL TIME.

At that point I was also signed up for transfers from the airport to the ship(by the way I was told that if I didn't do the airfare and only wanted transfers it normally costs 700 dollars just for transfers which were no longer available-at 700 dollars you figure the airport is far away from the ship would you not?)

My husband was very sick on the flight and very weak. I come out of the luggage area in LIMA peru at 1 am with a sick husband, wearing my jewellery(ASSUMING I WILL BE ESCORTED ONTO THE SHIP SECURELY)and there are hundreds of people waiting with signs to pick their people up. I WALK AROUND ENDLESSLY AND NOTHING WITH MY NAME ON IT. I EVEN SAW A GENTLEMAN with a REGENT sign for another couple who happened to be on my flight. I approached him asking if he knew where my driver was and he said no. I ASKED FOR HELP and he basically ignored me. AFTER A HALF AN HOUR I started panicking. I ASKED THIS DRIVER IF HE COULD TAKE US TO THE SHIP WITH THE OTHER COUPLE BUT HE REFUSED. He said if he did regent wouldn't pay him. This has happened to him before and the ship stung him. THE other couple even begged him to take us as he had an 8 seater van but he simply pushed me away and said no. We ended up taking a cab not knowing where we were going, how far it was and if we were safe. THE cab was so small all of our luggage was on our lap and all I could see out of the window was back road alleys and no other cars nearby. MY husband and I were petrified. HERE WE ARE AT 1 AM in a strange country strange language where safety is not well known and we have no idea where we are going. TO MY SURPRISE THE SHIP WAS ONLY 15 MINS AWAY FROM THE AIRPORT(HENCE THE CONFUSION FOR THE 700 DOLLAR TRANSFER CHARGE) we get out of the cab and it was a 20 dollar charge and there is no one at the gangplank to meet us. I HAD TO CART all of my luggage up the gangplank myself (AS MY HUSBAND WAS TOO ILL TO DO ANYTHING) and this is supposed to be a 5 star ship. SURELY THEY knew we were coming. BY THE TIME I got to the front lobby I lost my cool and freaked out at the concierge ERIKA WHO IN TURN was very supportive and caring. SHE TOO was embarrassed by what had happened to us and helped us immediately to our room. She agreed this is totally unacceptable and will have it investigated immediately.

THE following day I saw a credit for 20 dollars on my room account. IT HAS NOTHING TO do with the 20 dollars. THIS cruise was over 35,000. DO YOU think a 20 dollar credit is really what I am looking for. ERIKA TRIED OVER AND OVER AGAIN TOemail head office to find out how this could go so wrong and to at least acknowledge the error and at least an apology or some kind of compensation as in fact I really did pay for the transfers when I booked the cruise.

My point to writing this is if this had been an elderly couple there would have been a very serious tragedy here as they would have been left to fen for themselves and most of them either need care or are in wheelchairs.. Why wont regent acknowledge this problem and correct it??? When I returned my travel agent guaranteed me that she would make it right and that hasn't happened either. THIS LEAVES ME TO BELIEVE THAT regent just doesn't care about their passengers or their safety.. HOW can they keep charging these exhuberant fees and not recognize a serious problem and do something so it doesn't happen to another couple where the consequences could be a lot worse.

Publication Date: 03/20/12
More Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Seven Seas Mariner review Read the next Seven Seas Mariner review

More South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews