Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by ginak1112

Member Name: ginak1112
Cruise Date: March 2012
Cabin Category: C2

Nice week on the Allure!
Western itinerary. We are Diamond members traveling with our 18 year old daughter and another family with a 17 year old.

Embarkation was the easiest I have ever seen! The ship is huge and beautiful. We all had Central Park Balcony rooms. The cabins were very nice and almost identical to Celebrity's Solstice class. They even copied the bathrooms. My only complaint was the closet which had sliding doors; hangers would get jammed and the doors would not be able to open. Not a big deal though. Lots of storage space everywhere.

There are so many things to do on this ship and we didn't make a dent even with our 3 sea days. You could stay busy 24/7! You don't really feel the amount of people because there are so many common areas. Deck chairs were incredibly easy to find. I was shocked!

We saw all of the shows with the exception of the ice show. We had reservations but just never made it. Chicago was excellent as was the Aqua show and Blue Planet. Comedy was good and Headliner okay. It was the Texas Tenors from Americas got Talent. I had pre booked all of the shows ahead of time and coordinated them with our dinner times. It is fairly easy to get into them if you are not prebooked as there is a standby line at the door.

There are many, many food choices. I prebooked Chops Grill and 150 Central Park. I had learned of a tip here on CC about a first nite special at Samba Grill and took advantage of that. It is not really advertised but when you get on the boat you can book the first or second night for half price. It is a fantastic deal at only $12.50 pp. We booked 8:00 and there were only 2 other tables with diners. Needless to say, we had excellent service. There is a Samba dancer who changes costumes and comes to teach you to dance. Food was good. Chops Grill was the usual and 150 CP was an interesting experience. There is a set menu where you get several portions of small plates. The menu changes on day 4 in case you don't like the first one or want to dine there again. I ate breakfast every morning at the CP cafe. They have a bagel station or breakfast sandwich that is good. It is never crowded there and a great choice. I ate lunch either there or the Solarium bistro for a healthy choice. The CP cafe has that great roast beef sandwich or a chopped salad that they custom make for you. I never even saw the Windjammer on this cruise. My daughter said that it was terrible, crowded and nowhere to sit. We ate at Johnny Rockets one day for lunch and it was the usual. My daughter ate at Ritas and the Wipeout cafe and enjoyed both. The dining room dinners were fair. Appetizers were good and the main courses were ok. Meats were terrible and dry. I usually eat fish but the few that I ordered were mysterious to me, almost like a tilapia with a strange texture. Yuck. I had a good pasta one night, a stuffed shell. The lobster tail was good. Desserts were not great and few choices. The promenade cafe was very good with great small sandwiches.

Ports: Labadee was nice and we have been there several times before. This time we rented a cabana and that was a very nice change. We really made the most of our day because we had this nice spot to go back and get out of the sun. It was a hilltop location with a beautiful view. The lunch is very nice with seafood skewers, steaks, etc. and is only available in this area for cabana guests. Falmouth does not have much to do so I would recommend a tour. We did a rafting excursion with Bracco Adventures. They picked us up and it was a 20 minute drive. Very nice. We shopped a bit back at the pier. Cozumel took us to Senor Frogs so my daughter could have some spring break fun. We ate and drank! Shopped a little of course.

Never made it to the Diamond lounge. We were with others who were not Diamond so we didn't want to ditch them. I did see that they were holding their nightly cocktail time in Blaze disco due to the amount of Diamond members. Next time!

Internet was pretty slow and out a lot. Very hard to access from the cabin on my Ipad.

My only negative comment will be that if you are looking for an old school, traditional type of cruise, this boat is not for you. I felt myself spending too much time in the huge 2 story promenade or central park. There is no view whatsoever of the ocean from these places. You don't even know you are on a ship. There are no windows from these common areas because you are in the intererior of the boat. There are no windows in restaurants which I really missed and it is hard to see the ocean from the lounge chairs on deck. If I went again, I would get a real balcony to enjoy the ocean view a little more.

All in all, it was a great, relaxing week!

Publication Date: 03/20/12