Carnival Dream Cruise Review by MeghanJ: Dreamin' of another cruise!

MeghanJ
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Dreamin' of another cruise!

Sail Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This was my first cruise experience. I went with my DH, DS(17), and DD(12). We also had 4 other family members traveling with us.

The first days at sea were rocky. The weather did not cooperate. In fact, it was drizzling when we got to Belize. That was a real bummer because it was very windy when we were in Cozumel too, the day earlier. (Our submarine excursion had to be cancelled because of wind...) We did have fun in Cozumel though, and got some shopping in as well as stopped for drinks at Margaritaville. We had a ball! We had to get into a smaller boat (tendered) rather than walk off the ship in Belize. The waves were very big and it all seemed like it wasn't worth it. But I was not about to be that close to Belize and not go ashore! My DH, DS, AND DD each got a Tshirt in Belize and we all ate the Wet Lizard. It was a nice restaurant, but not remarkable. When we got back to the ship, my DH and went for couple drinks and visited with a nice lady from MD. It was More raining like crazy at this time. Thank goodness we were covered up, although we were outdoors.

When we got back to the room my husband asked me what I was thinking about our cruise so far. I said we need to give it the full week before giving an opinion. He agreed.

Then we got to to Roatan Island. Oh yes! This is where things start looking up for us! We rode the flying swings over to the beach, and we laid out in the sun and even swam around in the ocean for awhile! It was fun and our vacation was definitely looking brighter! We ate at the restaurant and then laid in the sun again. I don't think it was above 80 degrees, but I started feeling like I was about to burn, even with sunscreen, so after awhile, I packed up and sat with the rest of my family in the shade. We headed back to the ship around 3pm.

Costa Maya was another fun port. We shopped and drank a beer or two and took in the the scenery as well as watched some of the locals play drums and dance. Pretty cool. Very relaxing. It was beautiful there. I wish I would have had my swimsuit on because there were swim-up bars available to swim in and to partake of adult beverages. Very nice weather once again for us! I did sit on a chair by the pool when we got back on the ship. I even got some nice color!

The next day was a sea day. I didn't find a spot anywhere near the pool this time! But I did find a chair and laid in the sun for quite awhile. I read two books while on vacation and listened to my music, and broke one pair of sunglasses! Oh, and I messed up and fell asleep on my stomach and burned the back of my legs and part of my back. I wore sunscreen, but that sun is unforgiving!

I spent a bit time in the casino. I came out even or a bit ahead. I wasn't overly impressed with the payouts, but then again, who is, unless you win big??!! We went to 4 family friendly comedy shows, Dancing in the Streets, and another show. We enjoyed them all!

The restaurant food was good. The chocolate melting cake was the best. I was always happy with my meals. Our waiter was kind and teased my daughter every day. The buffets were ok. I liked the breakfasts the best. I had omelets most days. I also ate at the burrito bar and enjoyed that also.

The drinks are overpriced, but you know that going into a cruise. We got the kids the bottomless bubbles card, and they liked that. My son enjoyed the club for 15-17 year-olds.

Our steward was kind and did a nice job cleaning our rooms. His name was Jose and he always had a word of welcome. He even gave us advice about the ports.

At the end of the week, my husband I decided that we just might cruise again! Our kids had a ball and if they have anything to say about it, next year's spring break will once again be on a ship! I would like to do the Eastern Carib next time, however. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>