Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by pscmike: Not as bad as I thought it would be

pscmike
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Not as bad as I thought it would be

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

We have done our previous cruises on NCL with one each on RC and 1 other on Carnival. We have always enjoyed the free style on NCL but had this cruise booked a year ago and it was cancelled by Carnival due to the fire on the ship. So we had a discount and decided to try again.

EMBARKTATION

Had a major back problem with my back the week before the cruise so I was using a cane. Arrived about noon and was on the ship by 1:00. Arriving later is better than trying to be the first one on the ship.

SHIP

Everyone was right, it is very pink. It looks like someone came up with an idea and then someone else said lets do that 100 times more than the original idea. You get used to the color but you are on vacation.

ROOM

Actually we liked our cabin better than NCL. We had more room and the bathroom was laid out better. Had a lot of storage, didn't even have to use some of it. The room steward introduced himself the first day and was very good More with our needs.

FOOD

Tried the buffet when we first got on the ship, it was OK. Thought we would do breakfast the first day, big mistake. Not a lot of choices and the food was not very good or hot. From then on we went to the Gold Pearl for breakfast and it was very basic breakfast. The service was good and the food was always hot and good. We also tried the Deli, Pizza and burgers/hot dogs. They were good and that was what we usually did for lunch.

Had anytime dining in the Black Pearl. The first two nights we had different waiters and it was OK. Then we found Carina. The best waitress we have ever had on a cruise ship. She recommended what we should eat and was always bring extras to try. She made dinner fun. I would recommend that you ask for her if you can.

Did the steak house one night and it was excellent. Service and food was beyond expectations. Should do at least once.

ENTERTAINMENT

Went to most of the shows and they were OK. Definitely not professional but they were entertaining. Other activities on the ship were OK, nothing great but we did have something to do.

PORTS

Getting on and off in Cabo was fairly easy as we waited for awhile to leave the ship. PV was easy as we docked. Try not to be the first one off and it avoids a lot of frustration.

We felt the ports were safe and never worried about where we were.

FELLOW PASSANGERS

We were on for the first week of spring break. A lot of College age kids. They were really not a problem. They were having fun just like we all used to.

The problem I had was with parents of younger children who think as soon as they get on the ship everyone else needs to look out for their kids.

On the first day at sea I was walking through the adult section on the back of the ship and two young boys went running by and one stepped on my shoe and I almost fell. I said Damn and told him he was going to get hurt if he didn't slow down. The mother then had to find me and tell me I can't cuss at children and she was going to have me thrown off the ship. I apologized and told her I had a bad back but that didn't matter to her. Never took any responsibility for her son's actions as it was all my fault. Good lesson she taught her son, don't take responsibility for your actions blame others. Her husband was very nice and tried to have her move on but she just kept going. What a good GCB.

DISEMBARKTATION

This could have gone a little better but they are moving 3600 people. Had to stand outside for quite awhile and it was very cold.

All in all it as not a bad cruise. How bad can it be if you are on vacation? This will be our last cruise on Carnival as it just isn't what we like. IT may be just fine for other people but as they say "you get what you pay for". Back to NCL for future cruises.

If you have any questions or want some further information about anything please contact me at pscmike@dc.rr.com.

Enjoy your Vacation. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Empress 7262

Cabin 7262. Good size room. Plenty of closet space and drawer space. 6 shelves int he bathroom and a good size counter. Close to the forward elevators witch makes access to the showroom and the main atrium very easy. Not noisy and pretty smooth ride.

Try Captain's Tony for shrimp. Right at the end of the dock before you go into town.

Take a cab to the Blue Shrimp. Right on the beach and excellent food.