Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by Thegolden: Cruise to Nowhere!

Thegolden
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean Cruises

Cruise to Nowhere!

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We were all excited to go on this cruise we picked it because of the itinerary, we have never been to the southern islands before and this was our chance so we booked it. We had heard before that Caribbean Princess had engine troubles before (3 times) but honestly thought that they would have fixed the problem by now. Well we were so wrong!

Lets start from the beginning our transfer from the Airport to the cruise ship went off without a hassle which was good. Getting on the ship there was no problems and we were able to get to our room immediately. We booked a mini suite but it was far from what we expected they needed to call it a balcony room only, They said we would have a walk in closet it was the same size as the inside room closets. When we sailed Royal Caribbean our mini suite there was twice the size with a actual walk in closet and a large bathroom. Our room attendant Marlon was wonderful!

I am 6'6" tall and I had a problem walking around the ship the More ceilings were just to low and I found that I was ducking everywhere to make sure that I didn't hit my head. The problem with the ship also was it was to broken up, so many rooms that there was a hard time finding a quite space to sit.

Once we were told that our cruise was canceled due to the engine breaking we were to spend two days in St. Maarten then head back to San Juan. When we got back to San Juan that is where everything fell apart again. They brought us back to the Pan American port which was a distance from Old San Juan and they didn't offer free shuttle to town until the next day. And I only think they did that due to an almost Riot outside to get a cab to town the day before. But they held us captive each day and we couldn't get off until late each morning.

The food was just not good I have never been on a cruise that when I got back I have actually lost 3 pounds! The buffet area was like corralling cattle they have this space that is blocked off and crew member's stand guard and so many people enter and you cannot move. There sitting space was small and usually you couldn't find a seat so a lot of times we just ate outside. The food in the dinning room wasn't any better. The majority of the staff was good but the majority of the ones we had in the dinning room were clueless.

I love using a steam room and sauna when I am on a cruise it is a great way to relax for me. The steam room was so hot that if you cracked an egg it would have cooked it 3 minutes or less I had to ask three days in a row to have them lower it as no one would go in because it was so hot. They need to pay attention to the showers also and clean the mold off of the tiles.

The crew did there best to keep everyone happy but I have to say I feel sorry for them as the next two cruises are canceled so they are out of money and as we heard they do not get paid. Princess did refund our cruise but I think they could have done more a 25% credit for a future cruise is just not worth it! I cannot even fathom taking another cruise with them my vacation is hard earned and when you take it you want to do something just not sit in port and hear excuses from the line. They knew that they have had this problem with the engine before they should have fixed it. Disembarking was awful they, they were an hour and half behind they blamed it on customs. we decided to just get off the ship because if we didn't we would have missed our flight back. The paid transfer we had was awful they dropped you off across the street from the terminal. we were traveling with one in a wheelchair and one who is blind and we had to navigate with all of our luggage across 3 lanes of airport traffic.

I don't think I will ever travel with Princess Cruises ever again and I do believe that goes with our party of Seven. Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Caribbean Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Dolphin D223

Bathroom was small, ceilings were low in the bathroom. Not a big closet. Good balcony but open to all to see you.

Love St Maarten great shopping and beaches.