Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by elizabethbp: Beautiful ship that deserves a better crew

elizabethbp
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Beautiful ship that deserves a better crew

Sail Date: March 2012

March cruise had its highs and lows.
Embarkation- went fairly well though computers caused about a half hour delay. We went to the Park Cafe and had a nice lunch.
Room- I splurged on a crown loft, and it was fantastic. It was larger than I imagined. Sofa bed downstairs was very comfortable. Our attendant, Rohan and his assistant were excellent. I could have spent the whole cruise there and been happy.
Food- I dislike main dining room food and generally book specialty restaurants. However, after this cruise, doubt I will again to same extent. I realize now it is all the same food, with a few exceptions as to quality of steak for example, that dining room uses. The presentation and locale is just different. Our first night dinner in Chops was very disappointing as to food and service. We ate in 150 Central Park several times. Overall, the food was excellent, but there were always a few misses. Service was generally very good, except the last time we ate there More where it was very rushed. We had dinner and lunch at Izumi- both were outstanding, as was service, though at lunch, we requested server we had had at dinner after the waitress was rude. We had room service most mornings- staff could not prepare eggs benedict correctly most times, and coffee was pretty awful. We had lunch one day in Concierge lunch and it was ok. I really liked Johnny Rockets, though. Chef's Table was disappointing- one or two dishes were good, rest not so. The wines were great, and service very good. We got cookbooks and aprons.
Crew- In general, they were rude, indifferent, sullen and unfriendly. I remember the great staff on the Radiance, and this staff was very inferior. Rarely saw them smile. And, if someone can explain to me how Amy Fickert got her job as cruise director, please do so. I remember the guy from the Radiance and his hilarious tv show. Amy was awful. And, we had to watch a ridiculous short about her before the Come Fly with Me show.
Entertainment- We go to NY and Vegas a lot, but I did not want to judge by that standard. That said, I loved the ice show- at least the performers smiled and seemed to be enjoying themselves. Hairspray was disappointing for several reasons- I knew it would be an abbreviated version, but they chopped the soul out of the show. And, I seem to recall John Waters, who created the movie, saying years ago, that now, chubby girls had a role to play in school musicals when they did Hairspray. In this version, she was played by a thin girl. She had a great voice, but she was not right for the role. Come Fly with Me was ok. The water show started with the same motif as O at the Bellagio, which I thought odd, but was ok. We did enjoy Earl Turner, the headliner.
Suite services- the Concierge Lounge was appreciated, as was the staff who handled food and spa issues. I enjoyed the deck set aside for suite guests also, though it was odd no one walked around with drinks.
Spa- visit only if absolutely necessary. They heavily push products on you, though I will say they are very good products. However, they were unable to modify or change appointments (they just don't want to in my opinion) and in one case, never even scheduled one, and they adhere to a ridiculous cancellation policy. (Thanks again to concierge for dealing with that).
Activities on Board- loved the art auction with free champagne. Glad to see them back. Selection of art was very good, as was the price point. I bought a print and enjoyed the interaction with the artist on board, Dorit Levi. Daughter disliked the electronic Bingo, and we never got to the casino. We did the all
Access tour and it was enjoyable, though I could a have skipped seeing the laundry.
Shops and Bars on board- decent selection of trinkets, jewelry, perfume. Bars- many choices. The
performers in the Viking Crown were all very good. Leads from Hairspray performed one night in street clothes- they were enjoyable.
Overall experience- I could only go week I went, and unfortunately, Oasis had the second largest crowd ever including about 2000 kids, many of them ill behaved, and left to wonder on their own. They frequently took over elevators, and one group hung out on deck 17 late at night, trying to get through the security door and wander the hallways. Security on the ship could not handle these kids. Many passengers were also pretty rude- they did not seem to understand the phrase 'Excuse me".
Disembarkation- we did Luggagae Valet and it worked! We left ship about 8.30 am or so, No problems. It would have been nice if crew member had smiled and said good bye as we left.
I would go on this ship again, just with different expectations. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Crown Loft Suite Deck 17

I loved the crown loft. The bathrooms were decent sized with good amenities. I chose one close to the Royal Viking Lounge and it was very quiet. Our deck was smaller than some others, but perfectly adequate. Sofa bed was very comfortable.

We first went shopping at the Straw Market and got great bags from a very nice lady. She embroidered daughter's name on hers. We then went to the Hilton and loved it. I did not want to join the crowds at Atlantis as had been there before. Nassau is not what it used to be, but so what. It was still nice.
Read 2605 Nassau Reviews

Only port I had never been to before. The ship's excursion to Marigot and Dawn Beach was about the same as hiring a taxi for the day, so we did the latter. We had a great driver named Joyce from the taxi co we read about on CruiseCritic boards- she had a clean, air-conditioned vehicle. She pointed out some sights on way to Marigot. Downtown Marigot was very run down and many stores empty. The West Indies Mall near the pier was ok, and we enjoyed the open air market there. We then went to the Westin side of Dawn Beach as Mr. Busby's side seemed very crowded, We had no issues using it- got towels and lunch. Rough waters, but still fun.

We had to cancel snorkeling trip for a medical reason so just went shopping. Though the area is somewhat run down, we got great deals at Jewels, which is part of Little Switzerland, on Yurman and Ippolita. We had a nice lunch at a cafe nearby.
Read 2317 St. Thomas Reviews